Cold winter this time?

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
World Cup

Cold winter this time?

Postby Neuro » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:34 pm

Got the first snowfall in the mountains now. Very early.

In the old days, it was the odd warm year. Now it seems to be the odd cold one. Hopeful this will be one.

Anybody know the trends? El Nino, Nina or whatever it is rules this nowadays?

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Re: Cold winter this time?

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:47 am

Neuro wrote:Anybody know the trends? El Nino, Nina or whatever it is rules this nowadays?

What role do all the emissions from air planes play? It is not unusual here that a clear day turns into a cloudy only because of this.

trotro
xcskiforum 20K

Postby trotro » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:17 am

Saw the snow in Norway. In the Alps it is an Indian Summer although the Iseran pass was icy over the weekend.

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:52 am

The northern Rockies of Montana have receive 2 snow storms so far. The first was mid September the second October 2. More light snow came this week. But that is somewhat normal for this region. What was not normal was the almost complete lack of precipitation between mid June and that mid September snow. That resulted in extremely dry conditions and many, many wildfires.

Last winter brought more than the normal amount of snow. Hoping for the same this year.
39th consecutive Birkie in 2019!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:26 am

Yes last season America had good snowfall compared to Europe, but quite hopeful it will be different this year with big snowfall now.

An early October dump has become quite normal before the main snow November-December, but this was more than usual.

This is from today. As you can see, even snow in lower, wooded areas:

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:53 am

Neuro wrote:This is from today. As you can see, even snow in lower, wooded areas:

Impressive! Here, 500 km east of Oslo, it is only rainy and has mainly been so for a long time now so hopefully the water levels are back to normal.

dcpattie
xcskiforum 50K

Postby dcpattie » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:19 pm

Here in the mid-Atlantic it so variable that its impossible to predict. Canaan Valley, WV - about 3 hours west of Wash DC - gets about 160 inches per season (> 400cm) so you can always ski there but "when" is anyones guess. The one nordic center (Whitegrass) does not make snow so its quite variable. If they did make snow they could easily have a 100 day season.

A few fun facts about the Arctic:

1. Arctic sea ice has expanded since 2012 despite what you read online.https://realclimatescience.com/2017/10/ ... e-by-2012/
2. Greenland surface ice is at an all-time high. https://www.dmi.dk/en/groenland/maaling ... ss-budget/
3. Those adorable polar bears are not going instinct, in fact, their numbers are increasing in recent years. https://polarbearscience.com/2017/02/23 ... ost-30000/
Dave in Nordic Virginia

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:05 am

A few fun facts about the Arctic:

1. Arctic sea ice has expanded since 2012 despite what you read online.https://realclimatescience.com/2017/10/ ... e-by-2012/
2. Greenland surface ice is at an all-time high. https://www.dmi.dk/en/groenland/maaling ... ss-budget/
3. Those adorable polar bears are not going instinct, in fact, their numbers are increasing in recent years. https://polarbearscience.com/2017/02/23 ... ost-30000/

It's good to know that more than just one entity scribbling on this forum knows the TRUTH.
Next time some bozo from the National Academy of Science, UK Royal Society or similar amaturish outfit posts some alarmist nonsense about climate change, we'll know where to seek the real FACTS.

Next, we're eagerly awaiting the update where in Area 57 the alien bodies are hiddenby NASA and how many shooters there were involved in JFK assasination.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:18 am

skiffrace wrote:Next, we're eagerly awaiting the update where in Area 57 the alien bodies are hiddenby NASA and how many shooters there were involved in JFK assasination.

The shooters were perhaps 6 or more, but the two most important -- as it turned out -- were Charles Nicoletti and especially James Files, the gunman on the grassy knoll. See the following: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr4vgHsmNEk

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:49 pm

This is from Hafjell today. Seldom for this much snow in October. 45 km tracks all prepared. Looks wonderful, no? Can you smell it? Feel the itch? :-P

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Pat » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:08 am

Gee that looks great -- nice wide open and white. Sure hoping for some more natural snow in the eastern Pennsylvania area this year. Neighbors look at me kind of strange when I go out in the back and try to shovel meager amounts of snow into a track that I can ski on.

Pat

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:58 pm

Very early start for here in Oslo, been skiing already on Ok tracks end of November, and going to stay for a while with a cold spell to come.

How's it in US now?

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:54 pm

Last year we skied and raced on a few km of artificial snow. Same thing the year before that. Today I rode my motorcycle to work, it that gives you any idea of our weather.

Of course there were a couple snowfalls when you could ski for a week or two, and that meant I put less miles on the car. Up north hung onto that snow longer, but our three biggest races:

1. Held on artificial snow
2. Laps on artificial snow and plowed snow on a lake
3. Cancelled

It's killing the local ski shops.

Jay

PortlandORXCER
xcskiforum 50K

Postby PortlandORXCER » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:00 pm

More bad news: http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/news/4 ... ng-winters

I wanted to retire to Duluth but...maybe not. Unless I take up surfing. Seriously, people surf in Lake Superior in winter.

Here in OR, we were off to a good start but then had a rainy Thanksgiving week up on the mountain. Word on the street is that it's snowing this weekend meaning I may be able to get on snow next weekend.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:58 am

Duluth is a great area for skiing and has a good core of skiers, but you're right that winter is not like it used to be. We typically had Thanksgiving skiing somewhere...Giant's Ridge, Birkie Trail, Duluth, maybe even the Twin Cities. It always seemed deer hunting season was perfectly mistimed in WI to correspond with early skiing (Nov).

I used a run a ski camp at Giant's Ridge and on the brochure, we had "Guaranteed Snow." I remember asking about what that meant and the answer was they'd make snow if there wasn't natural snow. One year (I wasn't running the camp at the time) there wasn't snow and it was too warm to make snow. That was the last year of the camp. Now it seems pretty rare to have Thanksgiving snow anywhere, and right now, there is no snow that I know of in MN, WI, or even ABR in Michigan. Bearskin Lodge (way up on the Gunflint Trail) had snow over Thanksgiving and I think they were rock skiing for a few days in Duluth.

Jay

Return to “General Discussion”