Double Poling Question

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Double Poling Question

Postby Pat » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:58 am

I was wondering when it comes to double poling techniques, assuming that basic technique is good for sustained double poling, is it better to do long/strong arm extended double poling, or shorter quicker repeats. OK so I know coming up a hill, the shorter/quicker is the way to go, but for a long course that is mostly flat or rolling are you better off doing bigger pushes at a slower rate or quicker but less deep on the extension. My point being that when running at a race pace for myself, I am faster with higher turnover and shorter strides. However that turnover rate is tough to sustain and occasionally I'll switch to a longer stride to semi coast a bit. Make sense?

So the question is which is both faster and also which is more sustainable? Hope I explained it well enough.....

Pat

Michael_A
xcskiforum 10K

Re: Double Poling Question

Postby Michael_A » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:06 am

Pat, my understanding is that double polling is not comparable to running; you want a quick strong impulse from the core and then get as much recovery time as you can (i.e. slower tempo is better).

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:43 am

Pat wrote:I was wondering when it comes to double poling techniques, assuming that basic technique is good for sustained double poling, is it better to do long/strong arm extended double poling, or shorter quicker repeats.

If you really want to go fast on today's equipment I believe you should use shorter but stronger impulses getting the core of your body to do most of the work by bringing your arms nearer to the core and utilize both the strength of the core itself and the gravitation. For long distances, however, it is also important to get some variation and avoid monotony. Per Elofsson and Emil Jönsson explain these things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iklPCny0fF0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCKlb5eYYXg

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Pat » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:00 am

Thanks Magnus -- seems like the shorter strokes are the way to go. At least that also seems to work best for me too. Thanks goodness there was video since I don't speak a word of Swedish.

Pat

Return to “General Discussion”