Stride Tempo in Classic

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Stride Tempo in Classic

Postby Pat » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:50 am

Howdee -- in the world of running, faster and more elite runners are going to do a leg turnover of about 180(+) strides a minute. Maybe a bit higher but not by much, and this tends to hold true from middle distance to long distance racers. So my question is for classic skiing, and assuming a flat terrain, what does the elite crowd of classic style use as far as leg turnover.
Thanks Folks and hope all is well in your world.

Pat

dcpattie
xcskiforum 50K

Re: Stride Tempo in Classic

Postby dcpattie » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:21 am

Some of the elite 5/10,000 meter guys are turning over in the low 200's. I've not sure its all that applicable to Nordic classic skiing.

If you watch the "Ski Classics", their DPing the entire course (sometimes 70k or more) at a rate of 55-60 per min. As a former rower, I've come to appreciate a good "run" between stokes. Its a huge advantage if you can understroke someone at the same speed. I cannot keep those DP rates on my skierg for anything longer than about 3k. My inter-rhythm for DPing is in the low 40's.

Also, consider swimming and google Sun Yang. He is 6'6 and understrokes everyone.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Pat » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:32 am

Yeah but still have the question of assuming that they are not double poling and doing diagonal stride, what the turn over rate would be. Thanks

Pat

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:56 am

Pat wrote:Yeah but still have the question of assuming that they are not double poling and doing diagonal stride, what the turn over rate would be. Thanks

Pat

Hello! A problem with your question is that elite skiers do not use diagonal stride in flat terrain; for them diagonal stride is only used uphill.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:32 pm

so the comparison is what is the tempo of elite runners on uphills -- compare that to classic ski striding tempo.

then you might also compare their tempos on downhills! hahahahaha
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Pat » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:38 am

OK -- I'll rephrase my question to mere mortals then. Lets say what does a high school level coach in Vermont teach a decent skier about diagonal stride assuming they don't have the strength to double pole across every bit of flat or slightly uphill terrain. Quick striding, longer glides etc....?? From a video that Magnus had posted awhile ago it seemed that shorter striding with higher turnover was more sustainable -- just curious if there was a turnover rate that is taught. Heck it has been covered up and down in the running community so thought there might be some generalities.

Pat

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:45 am

Pat wrote:OK -- I'll rephrase my question to mere mortals then. Lets say what does a high school level coach in Vermont teach a decent skier about diagonal stride assuming they don't have the strength to double pole across every bit of flat or slightly uphill terrain. Quick striding, longer glides etc....??

I believe the snow and wind conditions play an important role here together with how well the skis are working, so it is probably hard to give one general advice.

Pat wrote:From a video that Magnus had posted awhile ago it seemed that shorter striding with higher turnover was more sustainable -- just curious if there was a turnover rate that is taught. Heck it has been covered up and down in the running community so thought there might be some generalities.

I believe my post was about poling.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:35 pm

i think you might find generalizations out there about tempo for striding and for poling. since there is gear and glide involved i have no idea what the answer might be. interesting that it's common in running but not a number i've noticed in XC. i've heard it said that glide is the result of tempo and is not focused on. it seems that if you're noticing glide you prolly should be upping the tempo! :)
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Chris
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Chris » Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:24 pm

No easy answer as cadence varies with terrain, snow speed, wind, intensity (distance vs sprint) etc. Running doesn't have glide, so it is difficult to compare.

Return to “General Discussion”