PSA: Save 40% on ThoraxTrainer through Kickstarter

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

dcpattie
xcskiforum 50K

PSA: Save 40% on ThoraxTrainer through Kickstarter

Postby dcpattie » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:04 am

I've always been intrigued about this machine but it was never available in the US: http://fasterskier.com/fsarticle/save-4 ... ited-time/

My one concern would be with the "fixed" poling width. I would think that is highly personalized and if its just slightly off could cause some shoulder issues down the road? That is the beauty of the Skierg, once you start poling you can alter the width on the fly.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Neuro
World Cup

Re: PSA: Save 40% on ThoraxTrainer through Kickstarter

Postby Neuro » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:07 am

Interesting machine, never seen that before.

A bit OT, but the article made a bold claim that would be nice to get confirmed:

"Nordic cross-country skiing is considered one of the most physically challenging sports because it activates more muscles than any other sport in the world."

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:18 pm

Neuro wrote:A bit OT, but the article made a bold claim that would be nice to get confirmed:

"Nordic cross-country skiing is considered one of the most physically challenging sports because it activates more muscles than any other sport in the world."

I believe wrestling to use even more muscles. Here is the old cross-country ski champion Gunde Svan training wrestling for his TV show "I huvudet på Gunde Svan" ("In the head of Gunde Svan") where he was to face the old wrestling champion Frank Andersson in a match; unfortunately he breaks a rib in this training session: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM-365j9yqo

dcpattie
xcskiforum 50K

Postby dcpattie » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:29 am

Neuro wrote:Interesting machine, never seen that before.

A bit OT, but the article made a bold claim that would be nice to get confirmed:

Its probably true - elite nordic skiers have most of the top VO2 scores ever recorded. A close 2nd would be rowing which have the highest absolute VO2 scores but since elites rowers are huge athletes ~ 100kg for elite men, their VO2 max scores suffer a bit since its a weight-to-output calculation.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Mark M
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Mark M » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:27 pm

Here is another PSA: the ThoraxTrainer is not too fun to train on - at least on my gym the pole slider action felt quite notchy and did not feel too good or natural. I tried to like it and used it for warm-up 1-3 times a week for six months but now they have retired the machine. Of course the gym machines suffer lot and might be more or less serviced.

Concept2 Skierg is about the same price, has lot more compact footprint but might be even more boring to train on.

edit. spelling and price, not prize.
Last edited by Mark M on Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

dcpattie
xcskiforum 50K

Postby dcpattie » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:37 pm

Mark M wrote:Here is another PSA: the ThoraxTrainer is not too fun to train on - at least on my gym the pole slider action felt quite notchy and did not feel too good. I tried to like it and used it for warm-up 1-3 times a week for six months but now they have retired the machine. Of course the gym machines suffer lot and might be more or less serviced.

Concept2 Skierg is about the same prize, has lot more compact footprint but might be even more boring to train on.

I have the C2 skierg with stand. Its a quality machine and much cheaper than the ThoraxTrainer.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Return to “General Discussion”