anyone believe this market study says US biggest?

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

anyone believe this market study says US biggest?

Postby JeffOYB » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:54 pm

here's a review questioning an expensive and indepth market study of global XC.

it says it's $50mill overall and that the US is the biggest sector, selling 600k xc items last yr. w a potential of hitting $16mill soon.

anyone think this is remotely possible?

oddly only the summary is available. the whole report costs $2500 to see.

https://www.dailyskier.com/2017/09/06/s ... -findings/
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Re: anyone believe this market study says US biggest?

Postby Magnus Johansson » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:50 am

JeffOYB wrote:it says it's $50mill overall and that the US is the biggest sector, selling 600k xc items last yr. w a potential of hitting $16mill soon. anyone think this is remotely possible?

It sounds untrue that the USA is the biggest sector. I believe Norway, Sweden, Finland, France, Germany and Russia are bigger sectors, but it sure would be interesting to know the real figures.

JeffOYB wrote:oddly only the summary is available. the whole report costs $2500 to see.

That was a hefty price. I wonder how many copies will be sold.

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:15 am

Weird how everyone doubts it, but I can see why. Of course population wise USA can't be compared to any country in Europe, and as for Russia, with low salaries there will be a lot of equipment recycling and new sets very cheap. Just a single set in USA might compare to 20 in Russia, don't you think?

China will no doubt take the lead one day, but curious why Canada is not mentioned here?

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:43 am

Maybe. It's not a very good article and it doesn't actually show the study so we have no way to verify it. The market is not growing to my knowledge

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:14 am

seems like the kind of study that investors might buy to figure out how to manage new franchises. ...i didn't know XC ski was in that position. i mean, it should be. but my impression is that it has been invisible in terms of marketing for decades. and here we have a market report for $2500? will they sell even one? the table of contents looks very detailed. how can the conclusion be so seemingly opposite of experience? ...we see shrinkage in retail. a few hotspots. one big event in the US. no marketing.
Jeff Potter

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Pat » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:44 am

Two thoughts on my part:
Loosely related, but I wonder if there was an affordable and usable indoor XC trainer available, that maybe more people would gravitate to buying more roller skis or the real thing. I got interested years ago because I bought a Nordic Trac, which I still have and use on a regular basis. (I also have two other ones that I picked up over the years that were being thrown away -- almost brand new.) I know there is the C2 Erg that I've never used personally but would like to. I can't think of anything more boring than hammering away on a stationary bike -- even if I am watching video of New York's Best Instructors..... but there sure are lots of commercials pushing that and mostly shown on the "Olympic Channel" which I'm watching because it is showing World Cup Nordic competition.

So maybe if the marketing was tweaked and there were some commercials of better than average looking people working hard on some "Nordic like" device, it could peak some interest. Another thing here in the US, every time there is a commercial of some people doing XC skiing, they are usually associated with some type of drug commercial, and they show them barely moving forward on their skis as the narrator waxes on about the possible side affects of the medicine. Now if you had commercials of some folks hammering away on the skis and tied with some product associated with something sexier than medicine to prevent/treat whatever -- we could possible get somewhere.

Pat
P.S. I'm an engineer and not a marketing guy

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:56 am

Thanks, Pat, for an interesting view on the visibility of cross-country skiing in USA. I believe cross-country skiing could (and should) be a lot bigger there.

Val LiCon
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Val LiCon » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:47 pm

I can't say what happens in other parts of the country, but here in the Tahoe area one of the biggest advertisers for XC skiing is the price of tickets at the Alpine areas. Even at $35 for a trail pass, it is substantially less than the $150+ that people pay for Alpine skiing. At the area I teach, more and more we see families are splitting the time between Alpine and XC. So, yes numbers seem to be growing in our region.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:23 pm

Sad to try to market a sport as being cheaper than another sport. No future in that. It is a valid dynamic, but it has to be secondary. Never used as a dominant salespitch.
Jeff Potter

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:03 am

China has apparently started a plan to get 300 million to get into winter sports as part of a 10 year plan where olympics 2022 is a big part.

https://www.nrk.no/urix/vil-at-300-mill ... 1.13310573

The article says there are really not many regions that have snow, but even rollerskiing has its own program. Ex world champ Ragnar Bragvin Andresen has been hired to train 100 coaches and follow up 100 schools.

https://www.nrk.no/ostfold/nordmenn-ska ... 1.13837320

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:29 pm

Wow! Does this push by China relate to an interest in a healthy public? Or are they going for racing and trying to seed these millions of participants to produce a few elite talents? Or both?
Jeff Potter

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:02 pm

I would guess both really.

And China is apparently becoming a market in its own right with wages rising. Just here in Norway there are lots of Chinese tourists which says something since it's expensive and not the first country on people's list.

Return to “General Discussion”