the most difficult technique? ...herringbone!

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

the most difficult technique? ...herringbone!

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:18 pm

(is this where technique posts go?)

the most difficult tech for me is herringbone. i love doing it really smooth, relaxed and fast. when it looks just like diagonal. zero waddle. no big stepping high off the ground. basically, i wanna look like the WC racers. and sometimes i can!

lately I can't. i wonder what's going wrong. my failure indication is tips catching and scooping/flinging snow. and waddling and dropping to a walk.

but i'm thinking there's a chance it's not be my fault. like, does ideal H require a packed trail? lately, i've been doing it in loose snow. i'm also wondering about binding position -- since i was a kid i've thought classic should have a tip-heavy balance so when you stride out your tip stays touching the ground, or at least wants to droop. does this go against good H? (i was thinking i cd test this by taping weights to my tails.)

(when skating came along we started mounting tail-heavy to keep tips from catching. nowadays w the slidey binding mounts it seems like ppl are moving binding to change grip / glide ratios. what does moving a binding forward do for skating? improve kick somehow?)
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Val LiCon
xcskiforum 10K

Re: the most difficult technique? ...herringbone!

Postby Val LiCon » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:30 pm

Without watching you it is difficult to say what you can do to improve. A couple of things do pop into mind. First, remember to keep looking up the hill. As soon as you look down the hips tend to drop back from a more forward position. This makes it more difficult to get the foot underneath your center of mass. The other idea is to put a little "relaxed tension" in the ankle to actively help the foot control the entire ski. A lazy ankle could be the cause of tips getting hung up. This last idea is a little difficult to explain, so you may need to play around with it to see if it makes sense.

And yes, I find more difficult to keep up HB speed in unpacked v packed snow. I still mount my classic skis with a slight tip drop, but just barely. Hope this helps and hope you have a great season.

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:41 am

I guess another reason to get the Rottefella Move binding system.

FWIW, I have been doing classic only this season, and have now moved the binding to balance point (for better controlling the very steep downhill sections of my training run) instead of forward, and really haven't noticed any difference when striding with the tip not going down.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:35 am

Neuro wrote:FWIW, I have been doing classic only this season, and have now moved the binding to balance point (for better controlling the very steep downhill sections of my training run) instead of forward, and really haven't noticed any difference when striding with the tip not going down.

What do you mean? When the bindings are at balance point the tip will more easily stay in contact with the ground than if they are in front of balance point.

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:31 am

I mean even when the binding is forward is there no issue with the tip not staying down.

After all, when striding, the leg is behind the body and the mechanics of the movement in large part prevents the ski tip from lifting together with the back, isn't it.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:37 am

Neuro wrote:I mean even when the binding is forward is there no issue with the tip not staying down.

OK, I see.

Neuro wrote:After all, when striding, the leg is behind the body and the mechanics of the movement in large part prevents the ski tip from lifting together with the back, isn't it.

At one point of anterior binding position there will be a ski balance problem, but I don't know exactly at which point that is. It is also probably dependent on the skier's technique. This should be investigated.

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:55 am

Maybe my climbs are just way steep, which they are. I'm still scooping snow. I lift as much as I can w my toes. Hmmm, I want to figure it out! I wish I could provide video but I mostly ski alone.

I have 2 sets fresh old skis to remount and maybe one pair has a different balance point that will help me experiment. (Don't wanna drill extra set of holes.)
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Return to “General Discussion”