the latest in cold prevention?

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

the latest in cold prevention?

Postby JeffOYB » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:38 pm

any thoughts on cutting edge cold prevention? yeah, i mean coughing, sniffles... years ago i asked the US head coach and he said "don't touch your face and take zicam and zinc as soon as you feel you're coming down." ...that was before zicam/zinc were commonly known. so he was ahead on that. glad i learned it from him tho i'm bad at it. i remember "don't share water bottles" in the mid-80's. so obvious now... i figure XC skiers would be on to the latest ideas in this, so...?

i listened to the Sadie J interview on "Nordic Nation" where they discuss hand washing, sanitizer. And I also watched the US Nat'ls CX where everyone was saying "congrats but i won't try to shake your hand or high five you. i know you're headed back to europe and don't want any glitches..."

i really screwed up a few wks ago just after getting healthy. on a long hard outing some dudes shared a beer and i joined in. doh! like the next day, wham.

ppl say incubation and such but for those who work out hard every day in the cold there might be other considerations.

for one thing, i don't just get a cold. my colds are terrible and knock me out for a couple days and making sleeping terrible.

i've kinda noticed that flu vaccines maybe reduce my cold severity that season.

oddly also when i did daily sub teaching i didn't get sick. same with swing dance lessons in recent weeks -- dancing w like a dozen ppl in an evening. my hunch is that immune might be REALLY suppressed during and right after hard ski outings. just a notion.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Neuro
World Cup

Re: the latest in cold prevention?

Postby Neuro » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:54 am

Don't touch your face is surely as good advice as any, especially after a hard workout or outing.

Me I always come down at least once each winter - and hard like you - but this season not so far (knock on wood). The new thing has been to take paracetamol and C-vitamin pills as soon as I feel funny in order to help the immune system fight it off and prevent the body heating up which just makes it worse (the body is just stupid sometimes), and it seems to have worked.

There was a study among World Cup athletes which proved the most risky time was air travel straight after competition so now they rather stay over one more night, and that seems to be working. Before this important Olympic season, most have even dropped christmas with families as well which is typical another thing that mess them up.

LewLasher
World Cup

Postby LewLasher » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:28 pm

Neuro wrote:The new thing has been to take paracetamol and C-vitamin pills

Paracetamol is called acetaminophen in the U.S., and is even better known by the brand name Tylenol.

dcpattie
xcskiforum 50K

Postby dcpattie » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:15 am

Perhaps re-think getting the influenza vaccine: https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/63/1/21/1745238

Note that the 2014-15 flu season is very similar to this season where the prevalent circulating strain is H3N2.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:57 am

LewLasher wrote:

Paracetamol is called acetaminophen in the U.S., and is even better known by the brand name Tylenol.

Yes thanks, here in Norway it's the most common painkilling/fever reducing medicine. What would be the US equivalent? Aspirin?

My grandfather swears to taking a shot of brandy as soon as he feels something, and he's rarely sick. I also know that top athletes like Ole-Einar Bjørndalen and others will gurgle whiskey as a preventive in order to kill things in the throat (where a lot is at).

About flu vaccines, I am skeptical to these after so many got narcolepsy during the swine flu scare in 2010 (provably so, they were compensated), especially after my pregnant wife was SO close to taking it at the time and who knows what might have happened as it mostly affected small children.

jt10000
World Cup

Postby jt10000 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:08 pm

Neuro wrote:
LewLasher wrote:

Yes thanks, here in Norway it's the most common painkilling/fever reducing medicine. What would be the US equivalent? Aspirin?

Acetaminophen. Not aspirin.

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:32 am

So you're saying acetaminophen/Tylenol is the most common painkilling/fever reducing medicine in USA?

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:32 am

So to fit the topic of cutting edge info I just found some new google hits on research showing that keeping the body warm reduces and prevents colds. And chills really do cause and worsen colds.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:21 am

Was worried about side effects of taking too much of the acetaminophen pills (not that I took much, just a handful over the winter), so I dropped it last time when I felt something coming on as it didn't feel serious, and boom, 1 week of hard cold, some of the best ski time lost (tracks are superb now)..

I will try good old-fashioned brandy from now instead, see how that works.

Return to “General Discussion”