Bonking in the cold

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

dcpattie
xcskiforum 40K

Bonking in the cold

Postby dcpattie » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:42 pm

There were a lot of DNFs at today's (cold, wet and windy) Boston Marathon. In my 30 years of endurance training I've experienced my fair share of bonks and nothing is quite as bad as bonking when its cold & wet outside. I've never bonked on skis but I've bonked during a long, cold bike ride and it was miserable!

So what is it like when your 20k from the lodge and you've totally bonked?
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Bonking in the cold

Postby Pat » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:05 pm

Dave -- well I'd say the worst I had was during the JFK 50 Miler Trail Run when I started to run out of gas with about 15 miles to go. Cold and wet too which brought the issue on quicker plus legs giving out. I can't say I really recovered after finishing until I was warm and dry for a couple hours and ate/drank anything that was around. So not a Nordic Ski bonk -- but a bonk is a bonk......

Pat

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:01 pm

It's been awhile. I find that cold weather adventure takes a different kind of fuel. The last time I bonked was doing a 4 hr hilly ski using gatorade and powerbars. They didn't cut it! Then I learned about Deluxe Pizza! Since then I've always taken fat'n'protein out on long cold outings and haven't come close to bonking. ...Even on "dark to dark" adventures.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

LewLasher
World Cup

Postby LewLasher » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:26 pm

dcpattie wrote:There were a lot of DNFs at today's (cold, wet and windy) Boston Marathon.

Yes, but this year's DNF rate of 4.5% isn't all that different from last year's 3.0% rate. I think the the DNFs got more press coverage this year because of the horrifyingly unpleasant weather.
More statistics: this year's DNS rate was 10.1%, compared with last year's 9.5%.

dcpattie
xcskiforum 40K

Postby dcpattie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:13 am

LewLasher wrote:
dcpattie wrote:There were a lot of DNFs at today's (cold, wet and windy) Boston Marathon.

Yes, but this year's DNF rate of 4.5% isn't all that different from last year's 3.0% rate. I think the the DNFs got more press coverage this year because of the horrifyingly unpleasant weather.
More statistics: this year's DNS rate was 10.1%, compared with last year's 9.5%.

I also saw the stats for this year and both the DNF and percent of the field that qualified for 2019 were basically consistent with previous years. I ran the 2012 race which felt like a sauna at the start and temps reached 89 F on the course - I think overall that was a slower race for the field.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

dcpattie
xcskiforum 40K

Postby dcpattie » Wed Apr 18, 2018 3:31 pm

dcpattie wrote:
LewLasher wrote:

I also saw the stats for this year and both the DNF and percent of the field that qualified for 2019 were basically consistent with previous years. I ran the 2012 race which felt like a sauna at the start and temps reached 89 F on the course - I think overall that was a slower race for the field.

In fact, the average time for 2018 was 3:57, in 2012 (with the scorching conditions) it was 4:18. So it would appear that heat (especially when not acclimated coming off a cold winter/spring) impacts performance far more than cold/wet/wind in the marathon!
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:33 pm

Worst was probably this winter after first snow. Took it easy the first few times but then overdid it to the point where I was actually pretty much finished on the way out.. Dragging the bones 5 km back doesn't sound bad but it was mostly (quite steep) uphill with a lot of herringbone parts and it took a monumental effort. Was knackered for days afterwards.

Return to “General Discussion”