good hand angle (pronation)

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

SpecialGreen
xcskiforum 20K

good hand angle (pronation)

Postby SpecialGreen » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:29 pm

What advice do you give young skiers on proper pronation of the hand? I never gave it much thought, and don't think I even mentioned it to kids in our youth league, unless it took the elbows out of plane.

I'm asking because I started experiencing pain in the heel of my left hand this summer, below the thumb, but not in my right hand. My poling is stronger on the right, so I may be doing something better with my right hand/wrist than with my left.

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Re: good hand angle (pronation)

Postby davidb » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:33 pm

Do you use a Skierg?
I've got the same problem; I think maybe it's the Skierg handle.
DP on rollers doesn't bother it.

SpecialGreen
xcskiforum 20K

Postby SpecialGreen » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:09 pm

No skierg; just rollerski. I am now taking a bit of poling break, doing more free-skate; and replacing some single-stick/double-pole with resistance bands. I'm also testing using a biathlon pole strap on the left pole.

dcpattie
xcskiforum 50K

Postby dcpattie » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:01 pm

I had a similar issue when I first started rollerskiing in 2015. The solution that worked for me was replacing ALL of my pole grips with the Leki system so the gloves connect directly into the pole grip. Its a brilliant system and I have not had any more issues with my hands.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

SpecialGreen
xcskiforum 20K

Postby SpecialGreen » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:07 pm

Funny you mention Leki... I had just ordered a pair of Leki poles, so that I could try the grip (also, that snap-in thing looks useful when picking-up crying 7-yr-olds in ski club).

I talked to a family physician, who recommended letting the hand rest for a couple of weeks, plus 1 ibuprofen every 8 hours, plus calcium. So I have spent the last 9 days doing legs-only skate rollerski, and only 90 minutes of violin (which hurts more than skiing). I'm also doing resistance bands to simulate poling.

It has been working: two weeks ago, I could feel the pain, even just sitting around doing nothing. Now there's no pain when sitting around. But I had to play violin for 4 hours today, and that hurt again :( .

Did V2 quit making those spring-cushion rollerski pole tips? It seems like nobody carries them anymore.

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:40 pm

There's the Exel Suspension Tip, and StaffanSTAVEN where the damper is in the handle.

Michael_A
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Michael_A » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:43 pm

Staffenstaven pole handles made a huge difference for me. Even more was not gripping the poles with my hands, and letting the straps do the work. My understanding is that if your muscles are under tension from squeezing the handle, it is a lot harder on the joints.

Return to “General Discussion”