Winter season 18/19

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Re: Winter season 18/19

Postby MN Hoser » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:44 pm

I agree that as you age, there is only so much energy you can devote towards the various exploits life presents. I too thought about racing yesterday. The temps (in Duluth) were around the legal limit, and the winds were gusty, but the race was in the woods. For some reason, it seemed better (and less energy) to do a 3 hr ski locally rather than speed 5 hrs driving, a few hours racing, and a few more hours of misc.

We're finally getting snow. It arrived 6 hrs late, and I hope that doesn't mean less snow. I also hope we get enough for the first grooming of the season. I was surprised to see that we're going to be much colder than Calumet. Daytime highs of 10, -7, -11, -3F and wind this week. I have a feeling I'll be trying to figure out indoor workouts.

Jay

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:02 pm

Yeah that's way cold. Of course you probably know but worth reminding that risk of asthma is high when doing hard exercise colder than -15 C.

But a watershed day for me as I sold my skate skis and it will be classic only from now on.. :? Reason is acquiring skin skis and lack of tracks. Basically just 3 tracks I would use despite the huge network of tracks around the city, but they still prepare 2 classic tracks on the side of the not-too-wide skate tracks so it's slaloming people on busy days and I find myself liking to explore new tracks and last year only skated once, even if it was the best snow conditions for years. But then I only started skating to avoid waxing and the dreaded klister, and the skin skis sorted that.

Lovely picture UPrSKr

trotro
xcskiforum 30K

Postby trotro » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:31 am

Neuro wrote:Yeah that's way cold. Of course you probably know but worth reminding that risk of asthma is high when doing hard exercise colder than -15 C.

But a watershed day for me as I sold my skate skis and it will be classic only from now on.. :? Reason is acquiring skin skis and lack of tracks. Basically just 3 tracks I would use despite the huge network of tracks around the city, but they still prepare 2 classic tracks on the side of the not-too-wide skate tracks so it's slaloming people on busy days and I find myself liking to explore new tracks and last year only skated once, even if it was the best snow conditions for years. But then I only started skating to avoid waxing and the dreaded klister, and the skin skis sorted that.

Lovely picture UPrSKr

Good lord, you'll be ski touring next ! Or worse, telemarking!

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:41 pm

Part of the reason I'm so taken with classic are newly prepped classic tracks. It's a dream to be on perfect balance and really feel the rhythm going without interruptions. With the new online trails map system which shows in real time where prep trucks have been (they have GPS onboard), I can be there right afterwards and it's so sweet to be on rails on out-of-the-way tracks in the middle of the woods that aren't prepped often, or the much trafficked ones that will be messy immediately.

With skating, I didn't have good enough technique to go 'cheap', and skate tracks were anyway not really long enough so trip distance was always limited. With classic I can go for the longer trips and that's nice. I also like being alone in the woods sometimes and not always in the chock-a-block common tracks where you could skate.

I will anyway continue to skate rollerski.

dcpattie
xcskiforum 40K

Postby dcpattie » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:38 pm

It was -2 in Northern VA on Thursday and forecasted for 62 on Tuesday. All hail the bi-polor vortex!
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:46 pm

Piling up with snow here from a big drop last days. Between 50 and 100 cm total cover around Oslo now, not bad.

Was almost starting to lose hope for this season. Not too cold either. Coming weeks will be fantastic skiing with new tracks to try.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:24 pm

I got in two workouts, Fri and Sat, on natural snow. Today, it's 40F (4C) and 100% humidity, so that's the end of the snow. It's weird because the ground is so cold that the melting creates ice. Also, today a local race got switched from natural to artificial snow.

So it goes.

Jay

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:51 pm

Not meant to twist the knife for those with poor conditions ATM, but as this is a celebration of skiing, isn't this a lovely sight:

Taken 2 days ago here in Oslomarka. I love to ski in this kind of wooded, rolling terrain and with snow on the trees like this and newly prepped tracks what could be better.

sangreen
xcskiforum 10K

Postby sangreen » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:18 am

That is incredible. Wow.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:14 pm

That's better than my imagination. :lol:

After some freezing rain, which has made the roads interesting, we have gotten a couple inches and over the next two days, we're expected to get a couple more inches. We'll see. I'm tired of riding the bike indoors.

Jay

dcpattie
xcskiforum 40K

Postby dcpattie » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:13 pm

Awesome, I'm moving!
Dave in Nordic Virginia

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:51 am

MN Hoser wrote:. I'm tired of riding the bike indoors.

.....At this point I just want all of this to be done so I can go ride my bike outdoors.

e.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:21 pm

Dave, come on to town. We got about 6” so 10” in the last week. Things look white. Birkie trail got it too, so they’re happy. Hopefullly it’ll stay cool for three weeks, and then my cycling season begins with an NC training camp. Really a beer drinking trip with some mt biking.

Jay

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:25 am

From the most perfect of conditions to melting for a week and more to come. :-( Like an early spring. Seems that was it. Of course skiable for a couple of weeks but likely no more snow to come so slushy. Lucky I was able to go out a lot last weeks.

How's it over in France ATM Trotro?

trotro
xcskiforum 30K

Postby trotro » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:58 pm

@Neuro
Incredibly hot, they are forecasting 22C next week... in February. Everyone says it's only weather but I find it very worrying. Got out a couple of times last week but the snow is melting pretty fast.

Return to “General Discussion”