XC after Total Knee Replacement (TKR)

Stuff that doesnt fit anywhere else.

Moderator: Moderator Group

fauvel
xcskiforum 10K

XC after Total Knee Replacement (TKR)

Postby fauvel » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:20 am

Is it possible to XC ski after Knee replacement? I expect my Orthopedist to say flat trails only.
Anyone did backcountry or expert track after TKR.
I did backcounntry with heavy pack for over 25 years. Did only track in the last 5 years and
none in the last 1 1/2 year. Consider myself still intermediate+ skier though. Tend to fall
often when in expert trails. Doing well in intermediate trails.

I should have asked my orthopedist but, with our socialized health system (Canada),
doctors are always rushing. He will tell me probably on the day of surgery :-(

Started bit of Fatbiking in the last 3 years but i would like to keep skiing if possible.

Sylvain

twa2w
xcskiforum 10K

Re: XC after Total Knee Replacement (TKR)

Postby twa2w » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:38 pm

I have not had a knee replacement but know people who have who continue to ski, bike, skate.

Most of this will depend on a couple of things -

you are not significantly overweight

you make sure you rehab properly and are completely healed with flexibilty and strength back. (more strength-endurance than sheer strength - on other words better to squat 50 lbs 100 times than 200 pounds 5 times)

take your time and start on the easy trails

straight classic is fine but exercise caution with herringbone and snowplow until you know yor limits.

An acquaintance of mine was on his bike (on the trainer) within a week of his knee replacements (both knees) and biking to work within a month. (a fair few hills in Calgary). He skis but about 1 notch down from where he was before. And takes it slower on the downhills.

fauvel
xcskiforum 10K

Re: XC after Total Knee Replacement (TKR)

Postby fauvel » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:32 pm

Thanks for the advice. The only limit will be that i am overweight. In the last few years i had to quit
XC-Ski but kept cycling. I will start with cycling after recovery and will have half a eyar to strenghten
mi knees to start XC-Ski next winter. I started loosing weight (just 8 pounds so far) and will try to
get back to a reasonable weight.

Your comments give me some hope. Thanks again.

Sylvain

Return to “General Discussion”