Anyone rollerskiing yet?

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
World Cup

Re: Anyone rollerskiing yet?

Postby Neuro » Sat May 27, 2017 4:39 am

That's a clever and simple solution, although it seems it would take a few seconds to find and push the plate whereas the brake arm is much more immediate which is needed on the busy path where I am. More pressure can probably be put on it too so a bit more effective. Also not sure it might work 100% on thinner skate wheels?

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun May 28, 2017 2:35 am

AE has a similar brake but on the front wheel instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdfYHD4fukw
I assume both brakes can be put on either the front or back wheel. How about having two brakes? One on the front wheel and one on the back wheel, or one on each rollerski: front-front, back-back or front-back? Or a brake on every wheel so one can choose braking efficiency according to the situation and also even out the braking wear on the wheels?

dcpattie
xcskiforum 50K

Postby dcpattie » Sun May 28, 2017 4:15 am

I think using the poles in the front would be both easier and more effective. On a bicycle the front brake does all (or most of) the work (same with cars).

I use the jenex brakes, which generally do the job. I like the fact that its "right there" so I can start braking quickly if needed. The main issue with the Jenex system is braking on wet surfaces - basically there is none. I'm thinking of applying a rubber compound to the metal plate to help the brake "grab" more during panic braking situations. Of course it might be too grabby on dry days?
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun May 28, 2017 5:35 am

dcpattie wrote:I'm thinking of applying a rubber compound to the metal plate to help the brake "grab" more during panic braking situations. Of course it might be too grabby on dry days?

That would improve the grab. Elpex uses rubber brake shoes: https://www.skistart.com/eng/summer/rol ... omsen.html

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Sun May 28, 2017 5:44 am

With the speed reducers in front and the brake arms in back (I have one on each ski), I have in effect brake on all corners and I use them all on every trip. On the steepest part of my run, the reducers are at max, and one brake is pushed so hard it hurts the calf. In this way I can get down, although the hill turns and the direction change needs lifting skis which takes some getting used to (I must lean forward just at that moment to prevent the skis overtaking the upper body if you know what I mean).

Agree the brakes are rubbish when it's wet, and then probably Rollersafe is the only way to go as it's metal on metal and both brakes work at the same time I believe. Practically a disc brake. Very pricey though..

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:18 am

Middle of June and I haven't been out for a single run yet!

It's due to many factors, but mostly the winter season was so amazing and I skied so much that I don't have the hunger to ski at the moment, the other is that May was the warmest month on record here (30 C regularly).

You? Any new equipment or trails to try?

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Pat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:26 pm

Well yeah I have been out a lot. Mostly on a cinder track behind a local school that works out well doing classic on. I'll rotate laps doing double poles, double pool kick and straight kick and glide. My V2 XLAs work well on that surface. I am planning on doing a camping trip next month up to central Pennsylvania and roller skiing on a Rails to Trails that runs along the Pine Creek. It is a 60+ mile trail and I'll pick off part of it going out and back. I've hiked part of the trail but that was awhile ago. Has anyone on this forum ever roller skied on that trail? I'm going on memory and pictures but it looks like the trail is that fine crushed limestone and I'm good on that surface.

Hope everyone is well.

Pat

trotro
xcskiforum 20K

Postby trotro » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:28 am

I did one long run (for me 16km) along the tow path but it was very very hot. I'm going to restart soon as I have a 3 day rollerski / biathlon course in August with Marie Dorin and Lois Habert, post retirement MD has a bit more free time on her hands. I'm currently building a softair biathlon target.

I've changed to Nordeex skis this summer (v1).

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:26 am

Wow how cool to have a course with them!

What's your take on the Nordeex skis? Reason for change?

dcpattie
xcskiforum 50K

Postby dcpattie » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:18 pm

Today I did my "marathon" workout on a hot, humid DC summer day. Workout details:

Rollerski (DP) 21K. During the out-and-back rollerski, I'll distribute water over the course for the run portion of the workout.
Transition - rollerski equipment comes off, running shoes go on.
Trail run 21K. Moderate pace.

In total, 42K of rollerski/running which took slightly over 3hrs. I'm now totally cooked!! My goal for the summer is to run 70K and rollerski 70K per week for a total of 140K of aerobic training.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

trotro
xcskiforum 20K

Postby trotro » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:30 am

Neuro wrote:Wow how cool to have a course with them!

What's your take on the Nordeex skis? Reason for change?

I have very little knowledge about rollerskiing but I had a pair of Powerslides before, in comparison the Nordeex are much lower to the ground and there are fewer vibrations. The fork for the wheels is thinner metal, I wonder how this will hold up long term. Lower to the ground is different, takes a bit of getting used to but is better.

trotro
xcskiforum 20K

Postby trotro » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:31 am

Here is the softair biathlon target I'm working on. This was just a test that a softair sniper (under 2 joules power) could tip the target at 5 meters. I will now have to build 4 more targets. You can get a softair sniper for around $100 USD and they are quite accurate so could be good for training. The metal targets that are available only work with higher powered airguns.

https://youtu.be/KlkDKKVVMpw

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:16 am

Very cool, well done. Are you doing active biathlon or just for fun?

trotro
xcskiforum 20K

Postby trotro » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:37 pm

No I'm just doing it for a bit of fun to find out more about the sport. I thought about doing some citizen's races here but everyone in the area who races is very sporty and while I don't mind coming last, I'd be worried about finishing a long time behind other skiers. I looked at the Foulee Blanche and figured I could finish somewhere in the last 25% but not last, I'm fairly quick on the descents :-)

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:53 pm

Nice attitude. Second to last is also a place to fight for.

Keep us posted.

Return to “Roller Skis”