Classic Rollerskis that can Handle Variety of Surfaces?

Moderator: Moderator Group

dcpattie
xcskiforum 50K

Classic Rollerskis that can Handle Variety of Surfaces?

Postby dcpattie » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:13 pm

I do like the stability and ruggedness of my Jenex Aero's but I have two main issues with them. (1) they frequently have tracking issues (that might be true for all rollerskis), and (2), they're too short and I don't feel like I can lean forward enough on them. I have the 150SC that Jenex later retrofitted to make them the 3-wheel RC model. At 680mm long, they are too short, I feel like I could use another 100mm up front.

I'm looking for suggestions that meet the following requirements:
1) Must have a brake option - non-negotiable
2) Must be able to handle the occasional rock, small gravel, and uneven pavement (think of the lines in a sidewalk but wider and deeper)
3) Must be stable
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Re: Classic Rollerskis that can Handle Variety of Surfaces?

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:45 am

dcpattie wrote:I do like the stability and ruggedness of my Jenex Aero's but I have two main issues with them. (1) they frequently have tracking issues (that might be true for all rollerskis), and (2), they're too short and I don't feel like I can lean forward enough on them. I have the 150SC that Jenex later retrofitted to make them the 3-wheel RC model. At 680mm long, they are too short, I feel like I could use another 100mm up front.

I'm looking for suggestions that meet the following requirements:
1) Must have a brake option - non-negotiable
2) Must be able to handle the occasional rock, small gravel, and uneven pavement (think of the lines in a sidewalk but wider and deeper)
3) Must be stable

Deplorably, I don't believe those roller skis exist, but I would like to have a pair. I believe a new type of pneumatic roller ski wheel would have to be invented, a type with a car tire like flatter top than regular 32-89's (6"), and very possibly a wider and bigger wheel to start with, like 47-93 (7"). With such wheels I think you, Dave, should have a wheel base of at least 850 mm. The roller skis would be very heavy, perhaps just below 4 kg/pair, but that would probably be worth it.

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Pat » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:20 pm

Well I seem to have pretty good luck on those type of surfaces with V2 XLA9848 skis that I use. Not so sure about expansion joints on sidewalks but certainly seem to roll over sticks/rocks well enough and do really well on packed paths. I'm not much of an asphalt cruiser -- I do but mostly in parking lots or closed roads.

I hope you find what fits your needs.

Pat

Neuro
World Cup

Postby Neuro » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:08 pm

For brakes I would suggest the type which is attached to the boot like made by Fischer or Skike, leaving you free to chose any ski model. I haven't tried either but seems to be better than the type that's fixed to the ski as it doesn't interfere with the weight and balance point of the ski, and got good reviews.

Return to “Roller Skis”