Crossover roller blading, roller skiing and skating

Moderator: Moderator Group

trotro
xcskiforum 30K

Crossover roller blading, roller skiing and skating

Post by trotro » Fri May 03, 2019 1:43 am

I hurt my arm at the start of this season (building work) and am pleased to make it through to the end. Rather than getting the rollerskis out I've dusted down my roller blades (inline skates). Now there is obviously a difference in the movements but how detrimental is it? I'm hoping to improve my balance etc on blades and have this transfer - I notice I'm not that good on inline skates anymore, I used to be able to skate everything pretty much.

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Crossover roller blading, roller skiing and skating

Post by Pat » Fri May 03, 2019 6:27 am

Well you are outside and getting a good workout and having fun so seems to be a plus to me. I used to use inlines with poles and always looked forward to the workout. I was never good trying to stop with them and would pick my downhills carefully, but maneuvering was better than what I can do on rollerskis.

Pat

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Sat May 04, 2019 12:19 pm

Sorry to hear about your arm. I too had quite a twist when my rollerski pole got jammed between two planks on a boardwalk and the arm was properly sore for months and I was worried it would never be ok, but when I finally stopped nursing it and spanked it in the gym with heavier weights it recovered fully.

Never tried rollerskates myself so have no idea if it's detrimental to the ski technique, let us know what you find and if there's anything you can use. Do you push off more with your toes? Could skiing benefit with more active toes for example?

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Post by TooHeavy » Sun May 05, 2019 12:33 pm

Blades are fine. But keep in mind to simulate in your head proper ski technique. Use poles also and do step turns in the corners etc. I still use then on a twisted path with grads and sometimes walkers. More maneuverable to not hit them and you can go off trail if you have to.. Bought my first pair in 86 and top Ontario ski team members were using them also.

trotro
xcskiforum 30K

Post by trotro » Sun May 05, 2019 1:54 pm

Neuro wrote: I too had quite a twist when my rollerski pole got jammed between two planks on a boardwalk
boardwalks eh? I broke a pole that way in the autumn (at Aix les Bains by the lake - wonderful place to ski and skate) and then another pole a week later in a drain. The drain was annoying because I lost the brand new point but I could see it. The drain was locked so I went home and got a magnet on a piece of string but by the time I got back there had been a flash flood that had washed the point away.

Rollerski poles are magnets for holes. I've now bought some poles for 10 euros from my local supermarket - they are pretty light, made of fibreglass and a bit flexi.

Thanks for the feedback.