Anyone rollerskiing yet?

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
World Cup

Re: Anyone rollerskiing yet?

Post by Neuro » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:20 pm

Another rollerski season here, I've been out once on my Jenex Aeros (winter gravel was late to be removed).

Plan is to try classical rollerskiing for the first time this season. There's a shop that lends out skis. I will also try some top skate skis as I'm a bit tired of my old bent ones.

You?

Pat
xcskiforum 50K

Post by Pat » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:11 pm

Oh yeah -- a couple times a week. Mix up classic and skate -- also using the Skierg a bunch and the Nordic Traks. Makes up the bulk of my workouts. But I always prefer to get outdoors providing weather and work don't get in the way. I have to say in all the years that I have been doing this sport I have never come across anyone else in my area that I've seen on roller skis. I wish I would -- people see me doing it and they usually thing it is cool or looks like fun. I tell them that it is and a heck of a good workout but I don't seem to be a trend setter in "the City of Brotherly Love."

Pat

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:26 am

I guess maybe people find it a bit dangerous or too difficult to learn.

trotro
xcskiforum 30K

Post by trotro » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:31 am

Nothing yet. I've still got a bad elbow so will wait until it is finally better (tennis elbow despite not playing tennis).

I've bladed a couple of times and will continue with this as I think the balance could be good then transition to rollerskiing later. Classic is good for uphills where I, personally, don't have the power to weight ratio to skate well. I can do about 3/4km on a 6% slope then I'm dead. Nordeex have some new classic skis that look like skate skis.

Article in the Daily Skier about roller skiing

https://www.dailyskier.com/2019/05/12/r ... tize-that/

I think for the general public rollerblading is much more practical.

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:04 pm

Interesting article. The 'cool factor' is surely a thing.

But still think safety concerns is another. I've seen too many ads with skis being sold after having been used only one or twice where they surely got cold feet after a scare or two which happens for beginners.

trotro
xcskiforum 30K

Post by trotro » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:25 am

I managed to go through the last couple of years without falls but it makes you less keen to try stuff out I think. 3 years ago I misjudged a very small ridge and landed on my front cutting my elbows and knees and it made me very cautious. Best thing I did was go to a couple of proper rollerski tracks where the grades and runouts are adapted to rollerskiing.

This is a nice video from Fischer but seriously, skating round city streets is not easy. I've got a 10k loop from the front door which I did a bit last autumn but there is a downhill where I go down with my son on his bike so I can brake.

https://youtu.be/V2C1AE_t34U

dcpattie
xcskiforum 40K

Post by dcpattie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:35 pm

I fractured my elbow (radial head) 10-weeks ago after a fall (while running). It's actually the 3rd time I've fractured this same elbow. Let's just say we don't quite heal the same as we age. :cry:
Dave in Nordic Virginia

trotro
xcskiforum 30K

Post by trotro » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:39 am

ok well I went out rollerskiing on Saturday because we have a club session on Wednesday and I wanted to be sure I could still stand on them. New poles (10 euros from Intersport - very bounce glass fibre jobs but I think the springyness is an advantage for my joints) and new wheels from Barnett Sports in Aix les Bains.

Actually things went pretty well, only I'd glued the points on my poles the wrong way round (doh!) so they didn't grip and I had to use the poles without straps back to front!!! But skating was cool, really enjoyed it but lots of work on style to sort out

http://pistehors.com/x-ZhPWsBX0Ia-Bl_la ... -shakedown

back home, points off with a heat gun and reglued correctly. Beginners mistake!

I put this little video together looking at skate style, more for my own benefit really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfU7XqKofrk

Pat
xcskiforum 50K

Post by Pat » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:22 am

Hey thanks -- that was a good training video. I don't think my skating technique on roller skis is very good. I think I keep my legs too far apart and from that video I can see that they were bringing their legs close together before pushing off. I'm pretty knock kneed on the left side and I never seem to be on top of the wheels -- mostly angled. Maybe I would be more aggressive if I had slower skate skis.

Different technique and different topic. I was thinking of trying to get classic roller skis with 4 slow wheels. When I did get someone to respond on whether a new pair of skis with 4 slow wheels was going to be slower or faster than my current V2 9848s with the speed reducers engaged -- the answer came back that the V2s used that way were going to be slower. I am all about the slow skis and the workout -- so I guess I have what I need.

Pat

trotro
xcskiforum 30K

Post by trotro » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:36 am

My problem is not enough flex / extension and arms generally too wide giving a "chimp on rollerskis" look. Ok not quite that awful but you get the idea.

I must say seeing the scar tissue on Tara Mountain-Goat (or whatever she's called in real life), last year's womens Castle winner, puts me off rollerskiing a bit

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:09 am

Very good video Image

trotro
xcskiforum 30K

Post by trotro » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:23 am

Had a one on one with an instructor last week - it wasn't planned as such but we were supposed to be a small group from the ski club but only I turned up. It was very useful, I knew I had a few faults from watching videos but it was good to go through them and how to correct them. The principal one was not extending enough for the pole plant and balance so it was back to basic exercises like double poling and skiing without poles on one foot. It is stuff I should have worked on a long time ago really.

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:04 pm

Using all my free time on a major repair with my boat ATM (leaky outdrive), so haven't rollerskied or gone to the gym or nothing for the last 2 months, but as soon as it's over the plan is to borrow top of the line skate and classic skis from a shop and see what's what.

Hope you're enjoying the summer so far. Image

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:09 am

Borrowed a pair of Swenor Alutech rollerskis from the shop. First time trying classics. Was struck how the wheels are not flat so you have to balance on a point. Very weird feeling, quite unlike skiing classic in tracks on snow, and more like off-track and on glazed snow.

Skis were light and tracked well but left ski did not. And not only a little, quite a lot. Changed them around, and the left continued to track inward, what the?! Turns out the left Rossignol classic shoe that has given me several other problems must be crooked, as my feet are generally aligned and there is no such effect using skating boots.

I'll try more skis later. Maybe a pair of the new FF (Floating Fork), but will probably end up with a standard aluminum frame for the skate skis since it's perfectly fine weight-wise, and ought to keep tracking better than others (where there fork and frame are not one unit).

trotro
xcskiforum 30K

Post by trotro » Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:14 am

I didn't find the rollerski classic "round" wheels too bad to use - I guess they do that so you can turn?

I did a couple of climbs at the end of August in Italy on my classic skis. Once up to Alpino above Lago di Maggiore - the people on the cable car down were quite excited to see a skier - the Germans knew instantly what the gear was, I guess there is a big langlauf culture there

http://pistehors.com/NrAkymwByuHDGsGATX ... -rollerski

and another to a little "walser" village called Frasmatta

http://pistehors.com/NbDwv2wByuHDGsGA3X ... -frasmatta

but I had to walk back down but via a more direct route.

but my boots have died so I've been back to road cycling