Anyone rollerskiing yet?

Moderator: Moderator Group

dcpattie
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Anyone rollerskiing yet?

Post by dcpattie » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:37 am

I'm thinking about getting some new rollerskis. I'm training on a smooth rails-to-trails path; however, its littered with large (sometimes as big as golf balls) gravel. I've been using the Jenex RC150's and they can roll over just about anything. I'm 100% DPing so they provide a nice stable platform which I like. The negatives are that they're very heavy and when combined with a boot/binding with tons of drop - they are quite tricky to turn (even simple step-turns). The other issue is the width. I think its even wider than where classic tracks are set and every so often I'll have an "inside" pole strike which can snap a pole (or worse, cause a crash).

I'm thinking of purchasing the updated XLN Narrow Wheel Track Retro Classic (image below). Its much narrower so hopefully it tracks more like classic on snow. I'm thinking of going with the smaller "125 mm" option to be a little closer to the ground. My big question deals with the best binding option for "no drop" or at least "very little drop". I'm even willing to switch to SNS if needed.

Dave in Nordic Virginia

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:37 am

Yeah those I would like to try too, shame my shop doesn't do Jenex. Should really be like skiing in tracks, and opens up completely new routes like gravel paths which is very tempting. About the weight I would guess classics shouldn't count for as much as skating and I do have the Aero skates and they are not that bad.
trotro wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:29 am
ah so it's a combo wheel, hence the shape. The local rollerski area (at Correncon) start beginners off on those skates because they offer more stability.
After trying my skaters today I can see why, as just that little V2 practice with the combo wheel and I'm close than ever, so a good learning tool definitely.
trotro wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:34 am
Skiskett do anti return wheels that should work in skate skis
https://www.skiskett.it/prodotto/ruota- ... osteriore/
Nice find, thanks. I guess it's for their Biturbo 3-wheelers like these: I will check with Skiskett if the wheels fit other skate skis.

But interesting to go out on my old Jenex V2s after the Swenor and FF classics and realize how slow the wheels are.

You'd think skate skis would be that much faster since it's more tiring to skate than classic, but not much with these standard wheels.

Bumpy like hell too, I'd forgotten how bad it was (feet soles are still tingling). The FFs damping must really work as I did the exact same route with them.

trotro
xcskiforum 30K

Post by trotro » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:28 am

Last weekend - well the 23rd - I entered a rollerski race, the Montee de Semnoz (it's a Tour de France) climb above Lake Annecy. Pretty tough and well.... I wasn't last !

https://www.nordicmag.info/rollerski-lo ... mnoz-0922/

Pat
xcskiforum 50K

Post by Pat » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:42 am

Well good for you!! How did it go and I'm assuming it was all uphill -- sorry my French is limited..... Well in my point of view you always seem to feel most alive after you have finished and recovered from a race or competition regardless of age or place. Way to go.

Pat

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:23 pm

Awesome. Image Sounds like a tough event.
Neuro wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:37 am
trotro wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:34 am
Skiskett do anti return wheels that should work in skate skis
https://www.skiskett.it/prodotto/ruota- ... osteriore/
Nice find, thanks. I guess it's for their Biturbo 3-wheelers like these: I will check with Skiskett if the wheels fit other skate skis.
Skiskett never answered me about this, but seems I'm anyway set on the FF classics now. Will try a good skate ski first though.

trotro
xcskiforum 30K

Post by trotro » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:52 pm

trotro wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:35 am
Wow that's pretty radical, should clear the water better in the rain :-)
Just read the website and they give that as a selling point

2000 krona, that's not a bad price but the wheels are quite expensive.

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:16 pm

I gave in and ordered a set but it's taking forever to arrive with poor ordering system etc, so this doesn't bode well if there are any warranty issues.

Notice FF also has a dedicated wet wheel for skate skis. According to TV pundits, the newer rollerski wheels are miles ahead of what they were just a few years ago when it comes to wet conditions, and this could be even better. Not that we ski much in the rain, but nice to be able to go out those days before it's dried out etc.

trotro
xcskiforum 30K

Post by trotro » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:00 am

Neuro wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:16 pm
I gave in and ordered a set but it's taking forever to arrive with poor ordering system etc, so this doesn't bode well if there are any warranty issues.

Notice FF also has a dedicated wet wheel for skate skis. According to TV pundits, the newer rollerski wheels are miles ahead of what they were just a few years ago when it comes to wet conditions, and this could be even better. Not that we ski much in the rain, but nice to be able to go out those days before it's dried out etc.
Keep us posted. I went out yesterday, first time since my race last month. It was pretty hard on skating, have tired arms today. There are a lot of wet leaves on our cycle paths below the trees where it is shady so having a bit of grip is a good thing.

There is obviously a lot of tech in wheels, when you look at the websites of the rollerski makers they have a lot of different wheels but seem to be selling to people (club skiers) who are already in the know about what it what.

Pat
xcskiforum 50K

Post by Pat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:48 am

Not related whatsoever to the latest posts, but awhile ago when one of the posts had a video of a classic double pole race uphill, I was wondering do they have to comply with the classic pole length or do they go longer for the actual race up the hill? Thanks.

Pat

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:47 am

They used the normal FIS rules:

Neuro
World Cup

Post by Neuro » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:41 am

Got my brand new FF classics (it took 10 days and a lot of hassle to arrive, so can't recommend ordering directly from the manufacturers site) and went straight out on a wet and dirty road so after just one trip they look like a mess.. Image

I really love how these allow me to mix up the styles with both classic and skating. Quite a revelation really. Striding here, doublepole kick here, V2 there.

Also how the skis will extend the season as I would never be able to go out on my skaters when it's this much wet leaves out.

They came with the (new to me) Rottefella Rollerski classic binding (that has no plate underneath): https://rottefella.com/bindings-accesso ... ki-classic