How to promote rollerskiing?

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
World Cup

Re: How to promote rollerskiing?

Post by Neuro » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:47 pm

I get a notification each time somebody puts out an ad in the local craigslist here for their used rollerski gear for sale, and it's funny how many are saying they've only used it once. Usually they sell all their stuff (ski, boots, poles, bags etc), so there's no doubt they are quitting rollerskiing altogether, and after just one outing is revealing. Others say it's only been used a few tries. Rarely, if ever is the stuff used to any degree.

So people basically look at rollerskiing and think it looks great, invest in a lot of gear without trying it, but after one try vow to never do it again. It's quite something and I bet it's all to do with fear of falling and getting hurt and possibly also some road rage. I also guess that with brakes and protective gear it would be a completely different story, yet there is no marketing for it in any shop or anywhere else. It's almost as if it doesn't exist.

A recent ad picture:

dcpattie
xcskiforum 40K

Post by dcpattie » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:43 pm

Its because its scary as hell to be rolling out of control without a way to stop. Many are starting at mid-age and are inherently unstable. Here is the way to fix the problem. (1) put brakes on ALL rollerskis - no exceptions. Even for the Pros. (2) start with slow wheels. If you can "control your roll" early on then you'll build confidence as you continue.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Pat
xcskiforum 50K

Post by Pat » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:32 am

Yeah I agree with a brake or speed reducers, and I like slow wheels. Maybe part of the problem is that when you see in the pictures of roller skiing, it is usually a photo of young athletes who are in shorts and tank tops. So when the "newbies" try to do the same they get frightened off with a skinned knee. Even with a brake you have to practice using it and make sure it is adjusted to fit your size leg. You don't have to armor up like a tank but long pants/shirt/glove/helmet and good old common sense go a long way. I think it is a great form of exercise and can be a lot of fun when you are wise enough to know your limits.

Stay healthy my Friends.

Pat

trotro
xcskiforum 50K

Post by trotro » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:20 am

Neuro wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:47 pm
I get a notification each time somebody puts out an ad in the local craigslist here for their used rollerski gear for sale, and it's funny how many are saying they've only used it once.
Wow, that's absolutely amazing. You'd think people would hire before they buy? Not that I did, I just plunged in but I've persevered but I'd say it's taken about 4 years to become reasonably competent, that is, able to street ski in most conditions and descend reasonable gradients, so there is a learning curve.

Of course, all is better with instruction.