classic technique on rollerskis

Moderator: Moderator Group

jasper110
xcskiforum 20K

classic technique on rollerskis

Postby jasper110 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:52 am

Hi,
i'm new around here and have just posted in the introductions section.

now that winter has passed and being my first season, i'm looking at rollerskis. i've had a few hours instruction from a qualified coach in skate technique so i understand the basics.

however, i like the classic technique (although i still need to flex the leading ankle and knee more and get more rear arm extension, but hey it's my first season).

looking through the web i've found lots of negative comments, mainly about developing 'late kick' with a classic rollerski. but every manufacturer has a classic model so there must be demand. i'd like to start a discussion about any technique benefits from using classic roller skis; weight transfer, balance, knee bend, getting the hips forward etc etc.

i'm not looking for a classic vs skate answer and i'll leave make and models of rollerski until later. for now it's just; are there any benefits?

many thanks.

T-Pines
xcskiforum 20K

Postby T-Pines » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:17 am

Hi. I have a pair of skate rollerskis, so I can't be of much help with info on classic rollerskis. I've heard the same as you about late kick.

You may be interested in the CAT Ski: http://www.catskier.com/. CAT stands for Classic All Terrain. This is not a rollerski, but a training ski for almost any surface. I mention it because you seem very motivated to develop good technique, and the Catski is touted for promoting good technique.

Jim

jasper110
xcskiforum 20K

Postby jasper110 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:46 am

many thanks for your reply Jim.

i looked long and hard at the Catski and agree that it looks just the thing for improving technique plus increasing fitness. unfortunately these aren't available in the U.K. I did contact Catski direct and they were very helpful and even agreed to pay half the shipping costs.

here's the rub. having anything shipped from the US to the UK is subject to an import tax. then VAT (more tax at 17.5%) is then added to the subtotal. plus a handling charge. i reckon the grand total would be near £400 GBP. for me this is just too much. plus the Catskis are a bit of an unknown quantity.

so it looks like rollerskis. as it doesn't snow much around these parts i was thinking that anything sport specific would be an improvement over nothing. the question for me is am i right and next will be which make and model to go for. (all major brands of rollerski are available in the UK)

T-Pines
xcskiforum 20K

Postby T-Pines » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:47 pm

I understand about the shipping and tax.

Kind of ironic; I'm interested in buying the Elpex off road rollerski, which I can't seem to get in the US. The only place I've found selling them is in the UK; http://www.rollerskiing.co.uk/catalogue ... kis-+Elpex

If you are having trouble getting feedback about various rollerski models, I know a few people that do quite a bit of classic rollerskiing and can offer some comparison info.

Jim

jasper110
xcskiforum 20K

Postby jasper110 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:26 pm

Jim,

any info at this stage would be good. will rolerskiing.co.uk not ship to the US, or are you subject to the same ammount of taxation as us?

cheers.

Biffbradford
Ski Forum God

Postby Biffbradford » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:57 am

You know, I think the big advantage of roller skis is being able to double pole, and diagonal pole (just use your arms as if you were striding). Double pole on the flats, double pole on the uphills! Great strength and endurance work. :-P You can also learn to improve your balance and increase your glide phase by striding and with all that going for you, assuming that you won't be racing at a high level, I really wouldn't worry about developing a 'late kick'. I believe that living where you do, you want to maximize the time you have on snow, and roller skis would be a great choice. Certainly if you can, get someone to video tape you so you can get some feedback on what you're doing right and wrong. Post the videos here and let us nit pick your bad form. :-) So what if you pick up a bad habit here or there with roller skis, I think the benefits out weigh the drawbacks greatly in your situation.
Cycling pics: http://www.peloton-pix.com Season Wrapup
Skiing Pics: http://www.doublepolepix.com (updated Feb. 8, 2010 Wisconsin Biathlon Fest )
Midwest Cycling News: http://www.PelotonStar.com

T-Pines
xcskiforum 20K

Postby T-Pines » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:58 am

jasper110 wrote:will rolerskiing.co.uk not ship to the US, or are you subject to the same ammount of taxation as us?

A friend of mine emailed them several weeks ago and AFIK has not rec'd a response. There is something odd about the lack of availability of the Elpex rollerskis and replacement tires. Waiting for answers

jasper110
xcskiforum 20K

Postby jasper110 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:16 am

Biffbradford wrote:You know, I think the big advantage of roller skis is being able to double pole, and diagonal pole (just use your arms as if you were striding). Double pole on the flats, double pole on the uphills! Great strength and endurance work. :-P You can also learn to improve your balance and increase your glide phase by striding and with all that going for you, assuming that you won't be racing at a high level, I really wouldn't worry about developing a 'late kick'. I believe that living where you do, you want to maximize the time you have on snow, and roller skis would be a great choice. Certainly if you can, get someone to video tape you so you can get some feedback on what you're doing right and wrong. Post the videos here and let us nit pick your bad form. :-) So what if you pick up a bad habit here or there with roller skis, I think the benefits out weigh the drawbacks greatly in your situation.

thanks. just the answer i ws looking for. you're absolutley correct in that with the minimal amount of snow we have over here i want to be able to enjoy every minute. as a family we are also planning a week in Norway during feb 2010.

i guess the next question is which make and model would be better suited, especially given the varied road surfaces - smooth to chip and seal. although it's mostly the latter.

cheers.

Phil
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Phil » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:49 pm

I am thinking about buying some roller skies for classical as well, but they're quite expensive over here in Switzerland. and as I just bought a new pair of skis I need to wait and put some money aside.

I do like jogging, but I would much more like to do some summer training on roller skies.

Phil
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Phil » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:37 pm

after my first 2 week on roller skis I must admit this is great!!! kick and double pole work quite well.

when I got the first time on the rollers it was quite a strange feeling. for someone doing only kick, it's strange that there are no tracks. balance is another thing that is quite different, but I got used to it. I only fell twice so far, no probs. I guess as long as you don't fall backwards it's not really a big thing... :?

so for everyone outthere still worrying: try it out, it's a lot of fun and yes, it's xc-skiing in summer!!!

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:02 pm

I have Marwes too. They work fine for my specific strength workouts.
Support http://www.mattliebsch.com

Pie. It just fills the cracks of the heart - Paul Blart

Phil
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Phil » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:11 pm

I'd say they have a nice kick, comes quite close to our winter hobby.

Return to “Roller Skis”