When to replace wheels

Moderator: Moderator Group

DMK
xcskiforum 30K

When to replace wheels

Postby DMK » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:48 am

When do you all replace wheels on Mawe's or other similar skate roller skis? I took the calipers out yesterday and they are about 90mm down from what I gather was 105. The rear wheels are a tad smaller (use to be on the front) and have a fair amount of 'cracking'. The front wheels also are wearing unevenly. I do alternate skis but I guess not enough.

Overall the wheels seem OK but I scrape the axel nuts on occasion and have noticed the skis themselves scraping on some bumps in the pavement.

What's the verdict? If I replace I will likely use the Roller Ski Shop wheels in medium since that seems to be a good match to Marwe #6 speed.

Dave

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:44 pm

I don't know that there is a hard and fast rule for when to replace. I just replaced mine, because they were fairly worn, showing signs of very un-even wear (despite efforts to the contrary), and starting to cause the ski to track and balance funny.

I still have some good rubber left, but stability was starting to be a factor so I swapped them out.

I would go ahead and replace them, it sounds like you have more than enough wear into them to warrant it....scraping up the shafts sounds like a bad idea anyways.

hth

Eric

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:58 am

I'd say it's time for new rubber. :)
Support http://www.mattliebsch.com

Pie. It just fills the cracks of the heart - Paul Blart

DMK
xcskiforum 30K

Postby DMK » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:24 am

Got my new wheels Friday and at first thought they sent the wrong size, the were so much bigger than the wheels I was rolling on. Guess it was time to replace them. Haven't had a chance to get out on them yet but looking forward to it.

Dave

Return to “Roller Skis”