Home Made "Pursuit" Roller Skis

Moderator: Moderator Group

bmullin
xcskiforum 30K

Home Made "Pursuit" Roller Skis

Postby bmullin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:47 pm

Between being a cheapskate and having access to and the inclination to use the necessary tools, I decided to purchase the wheels from www.rollerskishop.com and make my own Pursuit knockoffs.

The only other skis I've used are Pro-ski C3 (?) from about 15 or 16 years ago. The ones with the wide rubber wheels that were your worst rock ski slow and wore horribly unevenly causing terrible tracking. How I hated to skate on those. Classic isn't too bad and now I can use them exclusively for that purpose.

These new skis have been a dream in the 60 or so km I've put on them so far. With the 2/3 combination of wheels I purchased I say they are pretty close to reasonably well waxed skis on snow. I'm curious to see how well the wheels wear over time. Thus far they look good with even wear switching skis halfway through each workout. They seem reasonably stable though I've always had reasonably good balance. I am appreciating the extra clearance they have over the Pro-skis. They clear cracks and curb/street interfaces much better.

While I did save about 40% off the list price for materials, I was making a pretty low wage for the time I put into them. If the Pursuits perform as well as my skis, they are a huge bargain at the price they sell for and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to someone on a budget.

I'm looking forward to a summer of skiing on these skis and hopefully the improved fitness come race season next winter.

Ben

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:44 am

Nice! Amazing what you can do with a nice shop.
Support http://www.mattliebsch.com

Pie. It just fills the cracks of the heart - Paul Blart

PortlandORXCER
xcskiforum 50K

Postby PortlandORXCER » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:18 pm

Hi, I read your post about the homemade roller skis. Are these the plans that you used: http://www.xcskiworld.com/training/roll ... memade.pdf

Or did you design them yourself? I'm thinking about making a pair based on the plans from xcskiworld.com. A friend of mine owns a machine shop, so with his help I don't think it would be too tough.

Thanks!

bmullin
xcskiforum 30K

Postby bmullin » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:16 pm

I did see those plans, and they were a decent reference though I wouldn't say I followed them. I certainly didn't use the techniques as I had other tools accessible to me.

I've had a few issues thus far. My first set of bearing spacers were a little too narrow and I ended up preloading the bearings which is bad. Second I didn't use sealed bearings and they got wet and rusted once.

The wheels seem to be holding up well. I measured them all to be about 95mm in diameter still after 500 km. I have gotten out of the habit of switching skis though and they are starting to show that trend. They end up tracking not quite straight when not evenly worn.

I still think the Pursuit skis are an excellent deal unless you have access to tools, like to tinker, and are satisfied trouble shooting your own design flaws.

Ben

Return to “Roller Skis”