Need new roller skis

Moderator: Moderator Group

PortlandORXCER
xcskiforum 50K

Need new roller skis

Postby PortlandORXCER » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:52 pm

One of the wheel bearings in my Nordic Roller roller skis died today. Boo hoo.

Have any of you heard of these? I bought them used, thinking that the bindings were worth what I paid for them. The wheels are the same as classic roller skis without the ratchet.

I have a call in to the experts at Nordic Skater to see if I can get new ones.

So, I am at a junction. I may not even want to replace the wheels on the Nordic Rollers. I may want to go with proper skate roller skis. The budget may allow either the wooden roller skis or the Pursuit models.

Have any of you tried the wooden roller skis? The price on these is attractive, as is the idea of the wood bodies damping road vibration.

Any other thoughts?

enevala
World Cup

Postby enevala » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:41 am

Fasterskier had a review of the wooden skis here:
http://fasterskier.com/2009/09/woodskis ... ki-review/

There do seem to be some interesting advantages to the wooden shafts.....

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:10 pm

I saw a pair of these last weekend. I didn't ask about them, but they looked interesting.

Hoser

PortlandORXCER
xcskiforum 50K

Postby PortlandORXCER » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:55 pm

I took the plunge and bought a pair of these. So far, I really like them. They seem to absorb road vibration pretty well which was the selling point, and the brake is a nice touch since I'm a crappy roller skier and live in a hilly neighborhood.

If you are in the market for inexpensive roller skis, check these out. Pete (who owns the business) seems like a good guy and was very easy to work with.

steener
xcskiforum 20K

Postby steener » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:46 pm

Doing some research as it has gotten too warm around here lately. The woodski's are on my list. Do you have any more input or opinions?

PortlandORXCER
xcskiforum 50K

Postby PortlandORXCER » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:54 pm

I like them. I've skied probably 45-50 hrs on them since November with no complaints. But having said that, I don't have much to compare them to. I used to have some Elpex roller skis but sold them a while ago, so I can't really remember enough about them to make a comparison. [/i]

Werks
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Werks » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:00 am

I rollerskied on my woodski's about 50 days this past year before the snows arrived in November. The Hickory is quite durable, obsorbs road shock very well,
and provides a good workout. If there is a small downside, it's that they are just a bit heavier than the aluminum rollerskis I've tried. The high CG takes time
getting used to, but I reckon that's true of all straight shaft rollerskis.

I've never used them with the brake, but it's nice knowing that it's available if needed. Replacement parts are reasonably priced.

Beware the Asphalt Snow :D

Multi-Tasking ;)

Rollerskis provide a great workout , but nothing could be better than this ... Day 52 on the snow last week at Frisco Nordic ( 9,200ft)

Return to “Roller Skis”