Safety of rollerskis

Moderator: Moderator Group

Danski
xcskiforum 10K

Safety of rollerskis

Postby Danski » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:00 pm

Hello all,

I am keen to re-learn crosscountry skiing but live in Australia so there are very few opportunities to do skiing in the snow ( once a year for a week or so for me since I'd have to travel two days to get to the snow). Therefore, I'm thinking of buying the Jenex V2 XL150RC http://www.jenex.com/products/roller-skis/classic/item/xl150rc?category_id=5to help me with preparing for the brief times in the snow. It's not ideal but the only option that is available to me. I used to do xcountryskiing as a kid when living in Germany and I just love the sport and want to get back into it.

My main worry is potential for injury. I would be using those skis exclusively on flat ground and mostly on unsealed but compacted paths. I will have speed reducers and a brake installed. Considering all of these factors, what is the risk of falling off these rollerskis?

If the risk is fairly high, then I might just do as much dry land non-ski based training as I can and stick to skis for those brief periods in the snow. Better to be a very average xcountryskier than none at all due to permanent injury.

What has been your experience with rollerskis? Are they worth the risk for a casual xcountry skiier like me?

nxski
World Cup

Re: Safety of rollerskis

Postby nxski » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:02 pm

I wouldn't bother with brakes. They are quite finicky and get in the way. A good ski bearing will reduce your speed enough that you shouldn't have to worry too much about getting out of control. If you wear protective gear you should be fine.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

Chris
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Chris » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:15 pm

I assume you are aware, but in case you aren't, the linked rollerskis will only work for classic technique (not skating) due to the double rear wheel.

If you will only be rollerskiing on flat trails, I wouldn't bother with the rear brake. The exception might be if you will be using trails that have a lot of traffic that may do unexpected things.

The risk of falling and hurting yourself would be pretty minimal based on your description of the trails.

Danski
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Danski » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Chris wrote:I assume you are aware, but in case you aren't, the linked rollerskis will only work for classic technique (not skating) due to the double rear wheel.

If you will only be rollerskiing on flat trails, I wouldn't bother with the rear brake. The exception might be if you will be using trails that have a lot of traffic that may do unexpected things.

The risk of falling and hurting yourself would be pretty minimal based on your description of the trails.

That's what I thought that flat surface though a bit rough should be low risk.

Yes, I will only be doing classic style with these rollerskis.

Danski
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Danski » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:30 pm

nxski wrote:I wouldn't bother with brakes. They are quite finicky and get in the way. A good ski bearing will reduce your speed enough that you shouldn't have to worry too much about getting out of control. If you wear protective gear you should be fine.

Protective gear sounds like a good idea, especially at the beginning when I have to get the feel for these.

I"ll still have the brake. Peace of mind ;)

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:24 pm

Danski wrote:
nxski wrote:I wouldn't bother with brakes. They are quite finicky and get in the way. A good ski bearing will reduce your speed enough that you shouldn't have to worry too much about getting out of control. If you wear protective gear you should be fine.

Protective gear sounds like a good idea, especially at the beginning when I have to get the feel for these.

I"ll still have the brake. Peace of mind ;)

I've seen more people crash because of the brake than for any other reason, that's why I say I would go without it. They tend to fail quite quickly as well, but that depends on what type of brake you have.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

Danski
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Danski » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:20 am

Well, I've ordered a pair with a brake so I'll see how it goes. If I don't like it I can take it off.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:46 am

Old thread, but for reference I would recommend full package protection. Brakes (both feet, I've had one fail when i needed it), speed reducers, knee and elbow covers, whatever you got. Not only to avoid pain, injury and long breaks in training, but also I found I'm much more free to explore and develop the technique knowing I'm safe. You might feel like a wuss compared to others without any protection, but I suspect they have fears too ..... to look like a wuss.. ;)

The only thing I wish for and what is quite hampering my technique at the moment is face protection, since the big fear is to get a pole between the skis which we know from snow almost always means face first down and with asphalt that can be quite nasty indeed.. As it is, I'm markedly late with the pole plant to reduce the risk, and this has even led me to go up 5cm on the pole length in order to compensate which can't be ideal. Some off road bike helmets are 'full faced' which should take care of it, but there should ideally be just a thin metal chin bar helmet attachment like is used for slaloming. (Trouble in my case is I spent a fortune on a good helmet, so can't justify changing to an MTB one just yet)

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:39 pm

@Neuro:

I tend to think along your lines. I watch videos of roller-skiers, typically either competitive x-country skiers, or Scandinavians who've been skiing since the age of 5.
I do admire their skills and grace, but I know I am nowhere near their level.
Currently, I do wear knee-pads, always. 1 year ago I fell (twice), both times on a level ground and low speed (potholes I didn't see). I was fine otherwise, but by second time the skin on my knees was scraped to the bone. It took 1/2 year to heel, and I will have scars for life.

I hear you about the head, but I think a bicycle helmet is good enough. In the worst-case scenario (face-plant) you stick-out your hands to protect your face. You may break your wrist, but your brain will survive, and either way, this scenario is very, very unlikely.

I think the key is low speed. Roller-ski on flat trails, or get Jenex roller-skis, with speed reducers.
Still, even low speed is no guarantee. This June I was on a flat trail, going 12 or 13 kph, when my bindings failed. It should've been an harmless fall, but not for me. I fell in such a way that my hand (holding my hard-plastic ski-pole handle) somehow got between the ground and my chest. My ribs got bruised - too painful to rollerski for almost 2 weeks.

You may think "I will practice controlled falls, and be fine". In reality, even low-speed rollerski falls, not to mention bicycle falls, happen so fast, there is no chance to prepare. One second your're going along, 1/4 of a second later you're on the ground.

I wish I was again in my 20 and indestructible:-)
Still, on the + side, other than rotator cuffs in my left shoulder torn from multiple bicycle falls, I managed to avoid inflicting major long-term damage to myself while practicing my hobbies.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:46 am

Indeed, accidents can happen for unexpected reasons and damage is rarely insignificant. Potholes, binding fail, any number of things like you say. It's not even uncommon to hear about world cup skiers losing part of their preparation due to rollerski accidents. Some have even been hospitalized so skill is no guarantee.

I've had a couple of spills from being too bold going downhill as a rookie (big hip scrape), once when a dog jump in front of me (no damage thanks to pads), but the worst was when the pole got in between two planks on a boardwalk and I couldn't release the it because of the velcro strap. The elbow got twisted and took months to heal. But then I'm quite sure I've avoided as many accidents too, thanks to brakes and speed reducers.

Return to “Roller Skis”