Roller Ski Drop

Moderator: Moderator Group

steener
xcskiforum 20K

Roller Ski Drop

Postby steener » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:59 pm

I'm contemplating the difference in roller ski designs. Some ski shafts are straight, with the wheel axle and shaft center along the same line. Some skis have some drop built into the forks so the shaft center is below the wheel axle. The latter I would think would be more stable.
Does anyone have experience skiing with both designs? Or are there reasons one would be better for ski form/mechanics?
I'm looking at the Pursuit T6004 (straight) and the T6101 (drop). The price difference isn't greatly significant nor is the weight.

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Roller Ski Drop

Postby davidb » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:20 pm

I'm sure this is going to seem a bit naive, but I'd trust the Rollerski Shop guy's POV; straight shooter I think. And, I'm sure he's skied them both-- a lot.

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:34 am

I've skied many brands, some with dropped forks and some without. I VERY much prefer the dropped fork. It provides a more stable ski and it is much easier to get full weight shift as well as ride a flat ski with a dropped fork.

steener
xcskiforum 20K

Postby steener » Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:16 am

Thank you. That's the info I was looking for.

steener
xcskiforum 20K

Postby steener » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:05 pm

Follow up report:
I decided on the T601 ski with the drop shaft. I am very pleased with the stability and feel of the ride. After a few weeks of skiing (around 12 hours) I now feel stable and confident with V2 at speed. I am surprised at how smooth the aluminum shafts feel even on the chip seal roads. I would imagine the larger wheels help.

Thanks for the help in making a decision.

SpecialGreen
xcskiforum 20K

Postby SpecialGreen » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:11 pm

I've thought that having the foot higher on roller-skis really forces you to get your weight straight above the rollerski. It's not as much fun to ski on, and if you have good form, then you don't need the reinforcement. But I'd actually suggest that beginner/intermediate skate skiers get a little time with regular (not lowered-fork) roller-skis, just to help build that weight shift.

Return to “Roller Skis”