How much "slop" should there be in ratchet of classical ski?

Moderator: Moderator Group

Jon44
xcskiforum 20K

How much "slop" should there be in ratchet of classical ski?

Postby Jon44 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:51 pm

I've been having problems with a Ski-Go carbon classic ski. The ratchet slips sometimes, and even when it doesn't slip, it just feels like it has a lot of "play" so that it takes a little bit of rotation before it catches. I compared it to an old Jenex ratched wheel, and the Jenex is much more precise (no play at all before it catches).

Is there some norm about this? (I'm just wondering how the differences translate to simulating on-snow experience.)

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Re: How much "slop" should there be in ratchet of classical

Postby Blah » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:50 pm

I had this same problem when i was importing one way rollerskis. The ratchet would go from working great, too the occasional slip, to total failure. Not sure what the design of the ski go ski is like but sometimes it could be fixed by tightening the nut. If that doesn't work i would ask for new ratchets.

steener
xcskiforum 20K

Postby steener » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:52 pm

It's a one way bearing so there should be no "slop". The ends of the hub are usually square and can become rounded and begin slipping. Or most likely the socket they fit into in the forks would round out first as it's usually aluminum and the hubs steel.

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:37 pm

The bearing can and do give out. I know what you are describing steener but often on the one way skis it was a bearing issue

Jon44
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Jon44 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:56 am

Thanks for feedback.

My experience with these skis is sort of turning into an ordeal, but I just wanted to ask one follow-up question. I did get some replacement wheels from (kindly) distributor, and based on what I read in old Jenex literature, I tightened mounting screw as much as I could with long-armed ratchet. (Jenex said tension in bolt contributes to ratchet function.) They started slipping immediately.

So, just wondering if you think it's plausible that there's some magic tension the Ski-Go's wheels need to be under to work. (So, theory is that original ones worked great in hot weather, then contracted in colder weather and stopped working, then I somehow damaged the replacement wheels by tightening them too much.) Does that scenario make any sense?

Thanks, Jon

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:05 am

I found that over tightening can also cause problems....I'd check the fork though and see if it is stripped like Steener said and perhaps that is contributing to the problem. I don't know much about the ski go skis but sometimes the replacement wheels I gave out from ONE WAY crapped out immediately. They were cheap and had very little wear life. Now that I can choose brands I think it's worth the extra money to go with Marwe. They are a rubber company and since wheel wear is the most expensive thing to upkeep on a skis I think they are cheaper in the long run because the rubber lasts so long.

Chris
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Chris » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:06 am

Sometimes the one way bearings can be rejuvenated by soaking them in oil. I have used light engine oil previously. Grease is a combination of soap and oil. The grease seems to lose its oil content over time and soaking them in oil restores it. The slipping problem often is worse in colder weather I believe because the grease is more viscous at cold temperatures.

If the one way bearing is the design I think it is, it shouldn't require clamping load from the axle bolt. Over tightening the bolt sounds like a bad idea to me.

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:43 pm

I think no slop. When you begin to detect slippage, think about replacement, it's going to get progressively worse until you can no longer kick.

Return to “Roller Skis”