Anyone CAT Skiing? ...I am! : )

Moderator: Moderator Group

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Anyone CAT Skiing? ...I am! : )

Postby JeffOYB » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:40 pm

I've been enjoying my CAT Skis for the past 2 months.

I mostly stride when I ski so these offroad skis are the ticket for that skillset.

I like how they actually give positive feedback on kick and negative when you kick weak. You can't overkick em. But if you underkick or are slightly late you'll clack em.

I find that rollerskis are largely about doublepoling, which I also like to do. But today it was a bit mixed with snow on the ground -- rollerskis woulda hated that. CAT Skis on the trail, no sweat.

Of course RS's also work the legs. I look forward to putting more time in with them. Who knows maybe snow will be here soon anyway!

So far the CAT Skis are the only leg-sport I can do other than biking. (Bum knee.) It's a nice, pleasant, high intensity activity. I only do it 20 minutes at a shot.

Thank heavens I can still bike! I sure still dig CX in the fall. I've reduced my barriers greatly tho due to the knee -- bummer coz I love barriers and run-ups.

I like to do 20 mins CX plus 20 mins Cat Ski. Plus some circuit work. (I have a Chuck Norris gym that I kneel on and use as a bellyboard for doublepoling+core work.

I need to see the doc about knee -- haven't been able to run in the past year. I miss it bad! I need to get the knee scanned to see why it's bad and what the prospects are. Insurance was messed up but now slowly being straightened out -- it'll be the first thing I do.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Re: Anyone CAT Skiing? ...I am! : )

Postby skiffrace » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:46 pm

Thanks for the info. Catskis are among the most ingenious exercise devices out there!
How do they deal with obstacles on the trail (ruts, stones, tree roots)?
What is your projection about their long-term durability and reliability?
What about the speed? How fast you can go on, say, flat terrain over long distance?

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:32 pm

skiffrace wrote:Thanks for the info. Catskis are among the most ingenious exercise devices out there!
How do they deal with obstacles on the trail (ruts, stones, tree roots)?
What is your projection about their long-term durability and reliability?
What about the speed? How fast you can go on, say, flat terrain over long distance?

Obstacles: you can get over them but it's walking on objects with a plastic board. Small stones seem fine. I try to avoid others. The skis are flexy, they can sag.

Durability: I use mine a dozen times each fall, approx. 4 yrs old. A bumper has split but still works as intended. Not vital to function.

Speed: they're like dryland ski imitation, don't seem very fast at all, I don't enjoy them for more than a half hour. They're an intensity workout for me. It's a leaping, hard-kicking workout. They've had quite a few races with them, tho. I don't know what that's like! I'm sure they're only good for racing each other.
Jeff Potter

fred38
xcskiforum 10K

Postby fred38 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:54 am

Hi all,
I usually did classic rollerski with Marwe (probably the top in rollerski). Finding road with good pavement, no downhill, and small traffic is very challenging here (French Alps).
With rollerski, it is not easy to have good striding technic. This winter, i've took some classic ski leasons with a coach. We worked hard to fix some bad habits (incomplete weight transfer), in my classical technic. I'm not sure to be able to do the right job with rollerski.
I've read posts about catski, and this seems nice. Unfortunately, catski is still confidential and it is hard to find recent video or test.
May be by rollerskiing with catski, i'll prevent bad weight transfer, and to have better glide feeling? Moreover, it will be easyer to ski on road with bad pavement or forest road.
Are you still happy with your catski, have you seen some differences with rollerski? How deal catski with vibrations on the pavement?
I'm interessted to buy catski, but i'm still a little bit hesitant regarding the price, i would not be wrong.
Best Regards.

Fred

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:11 am

I still love mine. They have no vibrations on a road because they don't move. You move on top of the ski. The ski stays stopped on the ground. The whole device does make some noise, however. But I'm quite used to it now. The developer has suggested that some people prefer Catskiing over actual snow-skiing: that is way too much for me. I am always so relieved and excited to get on snow! Snow is the best!

However, they do have some wonderful aspects: they do actually improve technique: they teach great kick and drive. You cannot overkick them. If you underkick or kick late -- the bad mistakes from regular rollerskiing -- the Catskis will discourage you! If you late-kick you will run into the end of the ski and it'll make a "clack" noise and give an unrewarding feel. When you kick-drive HARD they tell you "Yes!"

I've been using mine for 5 yrs. I just this fall had to re-tie a bungie. Also, the long plastic 'ramp' part is becoming 'arched' but I am told that it can easily be bent back to being straight, but I haven't needed to do this. I also had to do my first maintenance this year, which did, I think, relate to the arched ski track -- it derailed and I had to unscrew a keeper and reinstall the slider. No problem.

I found some vids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsQdCIcpFHc

some vids at bottom of this article: http://outyourbackdoor.com/article.php?id=1865

(DISCLAIMER: I rep these devices! ...But I rep 'em coz I use 'em. It fills an impt need for my training.)
Jeff Potter

fred38
xcskiforum 10K

Postby fred38 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:23 pm

Thanks for your answer jeff,
Were are you the most confortable on classic technic with catski (good glide and good feeling)?
Are you best on the sand, on road with good pavement, on grass, in forest (does root and tree branches are braking you), i suppose that moutain trail with rocks and stone are not the best place?
The beam of the catski seems scrape the ground? Is there an attrition of the catski profile?
Best regards.

Fred

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:34 pm

I like it best on a dirt trail or grass. Some leaves are fine. They're fine on a slushy pavement, too.

Rocks might be bad. Roots probably not so great. I've used them on roots, tho. I try to move sticks if possible.

My base not degraded yet. It is scratched and worn some but seems very tough. The beam rides on the 4 red cat's paws. They are cheap and easily replaced but I have not had to do this yet.

I have spent 5 minutes of maintenance in 5 yrs. Plus I fooled around with sprinkling sand onto a wetted upper part that I slide on. I've done that a couple times. Takes a minute. I have sometimes had an issue of the slider slipping when it was wet out and near freezing. If it slips you add more sand slurry.
Jeff Potter

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:57 pm

How about hills? I assume uphill is fine, but how do they behave on downhill?
Also, how much of a role do the arms play, compared with, say classic skiing on snow on flat terrain?

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:11 pm

The downhills are a bit quirky. Basically you run into the stops on the front ends and use that as braking.

The arms seem to work as usual. I doublepole with them, too.
Jeff Potter

Pat
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Pat » Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:15 am

I bought a set of CatSkis about 7 months ago. I generally do a hard 45 to 60 minute workout with them once a week. I've been very happy with the product. I can't speak for how much they equate to cross country skiing on snow. I just love doing classic skiing and doing it indoors on a Nordic Trak gets a bit old. One thing I can tell you is that they have been fantastic for my running. I've been a track and field and cross country racer for decades and still pretty decent at it. Since doing the workouts with the Catski my times in the 800 and mile have come down significantly and they were already pretty quick times. So the Catski workout is the only thing I have changed in my workouts - so I can say that it is a controlled experiment. At 59 years old you don't generally get faster, but I certainly did and now have a new life closing kick. So I'm enjoying them and generally do repeat 400s/800s on a cinder track and some repeat hills -- kicks my butt but no soreness and pounding injuries associated with the hard workout.

Pat

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:35 pm

Pat wrote:I bought a set of CatSkis about 7 months ago. I generally do a hard 45 to 60 minute workout with them once a week. I've been very happy with the product. I can't speak for how much they equate to cross country skiing on snow. I just love doing classic skiing and doing it indoors on a Nordic Trak gets a bit old. One thing I can tell you is that they have been fantastic for my running. I've been a track and field and cross country racer for decades and still pretty decent at it. Since doing the workouts with the Catski my times in the 800 and mile have come down significantly and they were already pretty quick times. So the Catski workout is the only thing I have changed in my workouts - so I can say that it is a controlled experiment. At 59 years old you don't generally get faster, but I certainly did and now have a new life closing kick. So I'm enjoying them and generally do repeat 400s/800s on a cinder track and some repeat hills -- kicks my butt but no soreness and pounding injuries associated with the hard workout.

Pat

Another strong endorsement of the catskis - thank you!!
After the disappointment of rollerskis (very few safe and smooth places to use them, unless you live in Minneapolis) I finally made the decision to go the catski way.
I understand you buy them bare and then mount regular XC-ski bindings on them - is that correct?
How do I size them? Also, they mention something about "breaking them in with sand !?" How does that work?

Pat
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Pat » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:55 pm

I guess you could put you own binding on, but the manufacturer will install the bindings you want. Yeah for the break in, or really anytime you are slipping, you throw a little bit of water on the platform and sprinkle some sand on top. For the places I generally use them, after you have made the top of the ski/platform roughed up, then I generally only throw on some sand if I'm using them in wet grass. One size fits all for the skis and of course you use your own boots/poles.

After 7 months of use, the only maintenance that I've done is move the feet from the very back to the front and visa verse. I do beat the heck out of these things and the gear is holding up. I did buy some spare parts just in case.

Pat

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:05 am

I finally got started with the cat skis. They are quite an interesting beast!
Here are some of my initial impressions, in random order.

1. Upon the first try, they seem impossible to use. "What a scam" I thought.
However, after some time, I started to get the feel for proper technique. It differs substantially from roller-skiing technique. I'd say it's somewhat similar to breaking the trail on a snow that is several inches deep. You can't push the skis forward, you need to lift them off the ground and make a mini-leap forward.
2. The arms are less involved than on roller-skis. Due to cat-ski length limit, the stride is short, and so is the distance the pole travels.
Actually, poles substantially shorter than the one used for roller-skiing would work better in cat-skiing.
3. The best place to use cat-skis are fairly smooth dirt trails. They work well on paved surfaces, too. Grass is problematic - most grassy fields are uneven and full of holes. While you can't really get stuck in a hole, the cat-ski tends to be laterally unstable in such conditions.
4. You "wax" them by sprinkling with water, and then poring sand on top of cat-skis. The sand acts like wax - allows sliding forward, but holds your foot in place on the kick. If you cat-ski in wet conditions, you need to re-sand them frequently.
5. Speed? What speed? I am a complete cat-ski novice, and my speed on them is only slightly faster than walking. I imagine an expert cat-skier may move at the pace of a jog. However, they are about getting x-country workout in conditions where there is no snow, and you can't user your roller-skis, so speed is of little consideration.

Overall, I see potential, but it requires work. Now that here in PNW ground dried up a little after the El-Nino winter, I plan to make an effort to improve on them.

Jeff- you mentioned you double-pole with cat-skis. How do you do it?

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:57 am

Thanks for the post. I also am considering purchasing a set. I found the Jenex Aero's impossible to use on a dirt road but these might be perfect.

Are these diagonal stride only or can you kick DP with them?
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:32 am

dcpattie wrote:I found the Jenex Aero's impossible to use on a dirt road but these might be perfect.

What made them impossible to use on a dirt road?

Return to “Roller Skis”