Anyone CAT Skiing? ...I am! : )

Moderator: Moderator Group

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Re: Anyone CAT Skiing? ...I am! : )

Postby skiffrace » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:47 am

Are these diagonal stride only or can you kick DP with them?

There may be a way to DP with them, but if so, it's very different from normal DP. Jeff mentioned in the post above that he does it, and I wonder how?

I found the Jenex Aero's impossible to use on a dirt road.

I fully agree. Jenex statement that the V2 Aeros are for "off-road" use is a deceitful marketing at best, or outright scam.
A single inch-tall or less obstacle (loose stone, stick, undulation of terrain etc) will cause you to crash on an otherwise apparently smooth and hard-packed surface.
Furthermore, your progress off-road is uneven, jerky and very unpleasant, because the coarse texture and varying hardness of the surface causes the wheels to slow down and speed-up constantly.

Overall, I wonder why did we bother with the V2 Aero, and the hassle and expense of air-filled tubes and tires. I like the stability of the double wheel in the back, but that's about the only benefit I see.

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:06 pm

Magnus Johansson wrote:
dcpattie wrote:I found the Jenex Aero's impossible to use on a dirt road but these might be perfect.

What made them impossible to use on a dirt road?

Way too jittery - at least for a newbie. Really no smooth glide whatsoever on rocky roads. I love the RC 150 aeros on my bike path. Rolls over twigs, small gravel and stones, and other small hazards without much trouble.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:08 pm

Has anyone tried simple "grass skiing"? I'm wondering how catskis compare to just using some old rock skis on grass?
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:00 am

dcpattie wrote:
Magnus Johansson wrote:
dcpattie wrote:I found the Jenex Aero's impossible to use on a dirt road but these might be perfect.

What made them impossible to use on a dirt road?

Way too jittery - at least for a newbie. Really no smooth glide whatsoever on rocky roads. I love the RC 150 aeros on my bike path. Rolls over twigs, small gravel and stones, and other small hazards without much trouble.

OK, I see. On rocky roads perhaps bigger wheels are needed, like the 54-110 on Ski-Roller 54 shown first in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trSfatkaCPM

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:45 am

On rocky roads perhaps bigger wheels are needed

It's an unsolvable mechanical conundrum. Bigger wheels would roll over obstacles more easily, however, the frame would still get caught. The solution would be to both increase wheel size and raise the frame higher off the ground. However, higher frame means less stability. In the V2 Aero the frame is about 1 inch above the ground, and it would feel very unstable except for the double wheels in the back.
As an out-of the box solution: how about skis with lots of small ball bearings distributed evenly all over the base? Perhaps they would work well, but be devilishly difficult to manufacture.
Another idea: using skateboard as a base for double poling? Pushing off with the leg would approximate skating technique.
This one might actually work out of the box. Too bad I am well-past skateboarding age, and don't have one at my disposal.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:52 am

skiffrace wrote:
Magnus Johansson wrote:On rocky roads perhaps bigger wheels are needed

It's an unsolvable mechanical conundrum.

I don't think so. Ski-Roller 54 was used with great success on various roads and even off the roads as can be seen in the video above.

skiffrace wrote:In the V2 Aero the frame is about 1 inch above the ground, and it would feel very unstable except for the double wheels in the back.

A ground clearance of 25 mm as with Jenex V2 Aero XL 150 RC is not considered big and is used by e.g. Swix Roadline Classic. I don't know the ground clearance with Ski-Roller 54 but I guess it is around 40-50 mm, maybe more.

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:37 am

even off the roads as can be seen in the video above.

Well, it's one thing to produce a short video on (most likely) well-chosen and prepared stretch of the road/trail, quite another to daily use the equipment in a variety of conditions.
The videos of people easily and happily roller-skiing off-road are very convincing, until you find for yourself that it is not as easy as it appears on the screen.
IMHO, even if you can live with the jerky/jittery off-road roller-skis progress, the prospect of falling face first because you tripped on a single stone you did not notice makes it a dead-end proposition for me.
Pavement, even unperfect one, is far more predictable.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:34 am

skiffrace wrote:
Magnus Johansson wrote:even off the roads as can be seen in the video above.

Well, it's one thing to produce a short video on (most likely) well-chosen and prepared stretch of the road/trail, quite another to daily use the equipment in a variety of conditions.

Ski-Roller 54 is no new and promising product; it was the first mass produced roller ski that really came to great use and dominated the market from the mid 1950's and ten years on.
skiffrace wrote:The videos of people easily and happily roller-skiing off-road are very convincing, until you find for yourself that it is not as easy as it appears on the screen.

Roller skiing off-road is of course more difficult than on asphalt, no one here has argued otherwise. But it is being practiced even today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhOvRnkZxIQ
skiffrace wrote:IMHO, even if you can live with the jerky/jittery off-road roller-skis progress, the prospect of falling face first because you tripped on a single stone you did not notice makes it a dead-end proposition for me.
Pavement, even unperfect one, is far more predictable.

Yes, of course you should choose what you find best; I am not forcing off-road roller skiing on anyone.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:50 am

dcpattie wrote:Has anyone tried simple "grass skiing"? I'm wondering how catskis compare to just using some old rock skis on grass?

I have not really tried grass skiing, but the Russian elite skiers trained by skiing on grass in fields before they adopted roller skiing. It might be worth a renaissance. I suppose wet grass is preferable. Try it, Dave, and report your experiences here.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:17 pm

skiffrace wrote:Overall, I wonder why did we bother with the V2 Aero, and the hassle and expense of air-filled tubes and tires. I like the stability of the double wheel in the back, but that's about the only benefit I see.

Perhaps you would like http://www.skiskett.com/sport-line/spor ... 3/?lang=en

Pat
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Pat » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:14 am

I've never tried to use skis on grass. I guess I would if I had an old pair. Having said that -- sometimes the inch or snow I get a chance to ski on, on a grassy surface is probably not that much different. As for the CAT Skis -- I'm a fan and they provide me an excellent workout and variety. I only use them once a week. I can sort of double pole with them but not the same as regular roller skis. I have found that a crushed limestone trail, a dirt path, or short dry grass works well. Frustrating if the grass is wet from dew or rain because you lose grip quickly even if you just sanded the platform. But hey I'm a fan and glad that I have them in my toy chest.

Pat

Pat
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Pat » Tue May 24, 2016 11:24 am

I mostly use mine on a packed dirt trail so I don't know see any problem using them on a dirt road. Actually I think using on some uneven surfaces is good so you work some of the smaller stability muscles that may not be getting the love on a smoother surface. One thing I like doing with them is sprints/intervals on a baseball field. I start at home plate and pretty much run the bases with the CAT Skis. Reverse the direction and repeat. Phew -- 10 hard repeats will get you sucking wind.

Pat

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Wed May 25, 2016 10:51 am

Actually I think using on some uneven surfaces is good so you work some of the smaller stability muscles that may not be getting the love on a smoother surface.

I does not work this way in my case.
The whole experience is tedious and annoying, without the training benefit.
Uneven surface prevents me from the correct technique. Instead of kicking/gliding, I struggle to stay on top of the catski, and have problems to make them move (more or less) in the forward direction - the dips in the ground throw the skis off-course.
I even managed to fall couple of times, which is bad considering how slow I was moving. Perhaps your 'uneven surfaces' are less 'unven' than mine, or your technique is far better.

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:15 pm

Have Catskis been discontinued? The website is down.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Pat
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Pat » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:50 am

Dave -- yeah don't know. I haven't looked at it for awhile.

Pat

Return to “Roller Skis”