Roller skis

Moderator: Moderator Group

ithompson18
xcskiforum 10K

Roller skis

Postby ithompson18 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:02 pm

I am a high school racer looking for a decent pair of skate roller skis for summer and fall training. Any suggestions?

jt10000
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Roller skis

Postby jt10000 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:57 am

ithompson18 wrote:I am a high school racer looking for a decent pair of skate roller skis for summer and fall training. Any suggestions?

This is a little old but is a decent place to start for info http://fasterskier.com/article/the-grea ... i-reviews/

You should also ask your coach or team what other people are using.
Temporary Signature ---- http://bit.ly/2hKgHk7 ----- Temporary Signature

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:22 am

First, I would really avoid the aluminum box construction like the V2s. If you're on perfectly smooth pavement all the time, they'd be fine, but skis like Marwe have flexible shafts (like a snow ski) that absorb a lot of buzz and take an edge off bumps.

So around here, a lot of people use Marwe since a major shop sells that brand. I have a pair of both classic and skate Marwes. I also have a pair of Swenor skate skis. The Swenor are very, very similar to the Marwes. The wheel speed is a touch faster, the wheels absorb a touch more buzz/shock, and are a touch more slippery on wet roads. Between the Marwe and Swenors, I'd pick the cheaper pair or the pair that a local shop sells. If you're looking at other brands, I'd compare them to the ones above.

Jay

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:24 pm

I like the Vauhti skis for their quality and price
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:46 pm

I had never heard of Vauhti rollerskis, so I looked them up. The top end ones with a carbon fiber body sound good. The "flexible aluminum body" skis makes me wonder how can aluminum be flexible? If you repeatedly bend aluminum (in contrast to many other metals) it fatigues and breaks. Is the "flexibility" some other component?

Jay

Chris
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Chris » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:12 pm

Everything flexes (deflects) to some extent when a load is applied. While it is true aluminum doesn't have an endurance limit like other materials such as steel, if designed correctly the shaft should last for the life of the product. Take an airplane for example. There are many parts made out of aluminum that flex, but they are designed to last the life of the plane, or have a replacement schedule.

That being said "flexible aluminum body" sounds like something a marketing person came up with.

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:06 am

...so, flexible like a V2 roller ski. :-)

But Chris, you bring up a point. If you're oh...200 lbs and over, I'd say the Marwe's (and probably other similar shafts) have a limited life. I've seen a few "big boys" break some skis over the years. Granted, they've had years of use, but if you're 230 and powerful, you should at least consider some other skis, or accept that you'll probably need to sell off skis every few years or buy some new shafts. Not a big deal, but the flexibility comes with a price for big guys.

Jay

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:28 pm

I own a pair of the aluminum Vauhti's (or Elpex when I bought them) and they do not flex much, but they are very durable - I've had them almost 10 year, and they've seen about 6-7 of solid use. The wheels have worn down, but the frame is still perfect. The carbon fibre ones aren't great, you don't want a light fast roller-ski, they're for training. You also can't easily switch from Salomon to NNN bindings. If you're wondering about the brand, they used to be called Elpex and the carbon fibre ones that One Way puts their branding on are actually made by Vauhti.

Nick Spurling

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:33 am

The One Way rollerskis are made by a factory in Taiwan. I have the shipping info to prove it from when I was importing them. I think it's more important to get a ski with wheels that wear slowly and evenly. That is the most important part financially and performance wise it makes a huge difference.

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:58 am

Blah wrote:The One Way rollerskis are made by a factory in Taiwan. I have the shipping info to prove it from when I was importing them. I think it's more important to get a ski with wheels that wear slowly and evenly. That is the most important part financially and performance wise it makes a huge difference.

I may have the information confused - the One Way ones are identical, so it may just have been the patent they purchased. The wheels that come with the Vauhti's do wear evenly (as long as you rotate them, which you should do with any roller ski), and there are different bearing resistances.

Nick Spurling

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Postby TooHeavy » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:50 pm

I see Start still makes roller ski's. I bought a pair of Start Marathons back in the day and they have served me well. A lot of the finish ski's on the market look the same,might even be the same with different paint.

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Blah » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:42 pm

ONEWAY doesn't actually create or design anything. They buy preexisting products from China and put their paint job on it. Same with clothing. They don't actually create or make any product at all.

Start does still make rollerskis. They are very expensive so we do not import them into the US at this time.

nxski
World Cup

Postby nxski » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:50 pm

Blah wrote:ONEWAY doesn't actually create or design anything. They buy preexisting products from China and put their paint job on it. Same with clothing. They don't actually create or make any product at all.

Untrue, they did in fact design and create a pair of slippers a couple of years ago. ;)

Nick Spurling

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:52 am

I'm not sure that Swix is interested in supporting their rollerskis (aka ProSkis) in the US. There seem to be part shortages, particularly classic wheels, popping up.

Maybe, take care if considering these.

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:46 pm

OP: I just reread your post and understand that you're looking for skate skis. I'm a little surprised that no one here has mentioned Roller Ski Shop's stuff.
I use Roller Ski Shop's Pursuit model and I like it a lot. Wheels last forever, and are cheap to replace. Skis seem to be "bulletproof" and not expensive.
I think they offer a student/team discount.
Great service too.

Return to “Roller Skis”