Going in a straight line

Moderator: Moderator Group

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Going in a straight line

Postby skiffrace » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:51 am

I have a problem - my rollerskis tend to drift to the right.
The likely reason are my "duck feet" - when I walk in a natural gait, my toes are pointing somewhat to the sides instead of forward. The right foot is a bit more pronounced than the left.
There would be no problem if I were skiing on the snow in the tracks since tracks naturally guide your skis.
I guess skating would be no problem either, since your skis are pointed sideways all the time anyway.
However, in the classical style roller-skiing there is nothing to guide the roller skis other than your feet.
I wonder what options do I have?
Could I re-drill the bindings, and align them closer to the skew of my feet, so the feet/bindings are under a slight angle, but the rollerskis are straight forward?
Anything else I could do?
I don't think I can do much about the alignment of my feet, and I don't want to switch to skating either.

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Re: Going in a straight line

Postby skiffrace » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:31 am

I found the answer to my question. Apparently, I am not the only one with tracking problems.
Jenex XL150 rollerskis that I own provide a little metal tab that allows micro-adjustments to the front wheel, so it tracks to the left or to the right.
I made the adjustment yesterday, and this morning I did the most pleasant 20K on my rollerskis so far - they track straight and true.
Instead of fighting to stay on course, I could concentrate on going forward fast.
The adjustment tab is a great feature - every rollerski should have it, but if it doesn't, it is possible to improvise something similar.
On the subject of Jenex rollerskis - they've made big improvement in the last 15 years.
The pair I had back in 2000 was a piece of junk.
The ones I have today are far more solid, well designed and pleasant to use.
The only problem I've had in the 6 months so far are 2 flat tires - apparently Jenex buys cheapest crappiest chinese inner tubes it can find - inner tubes that develops holes on their own (without being punctured)

Return to “Roller Skis”