Broken Carbide tip

Moderator: Moderator Group

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Broken Carbide tip

Postby dcpattie » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:45 am

I was so excited after replacing some dull tips with some new tips (manufacturer unknown but a Leki rep sold them to me). After 4 miles into the workout, one of the carbide tips was completely ripped out of its plastic housing. Anyone else have this happen? Is there a manufacturer of rollerski ferrules that are better than the rest?
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Broken Carbide tip

Postby Blah » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:52 pm

Buy from your local retailer, that way the tips would be replaced for free and you are supporting local businesses. :-)

Exel, One way, Start, and V2 have good roller tips

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:44 pm

Blah wrote:Buy from your local retailer, that way the tips would be replaced for free and you are supporting local businesses. :-)

Exel, One way, Start, and V2 have good roller tips

I hear you - problem is that here in Virginia we have zero retailers. People look at me on the bike path as I'm a total weirdo.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Chris
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Chris » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:57 pm

I'm not fond of the Exel roller ski ferrules. The heat treat or the material composition is off and I tend to chip the metal on them when I ski hard. The ones I bought recently are a few years old, so maybe they have been improved since.

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:38 am

DC- I'd wager that most of the people on this site don't have access to a retail shop that carries roller tips, but there are lots of online sites, some of which specialize in rollerskiing stuff.

I think you may have used too much heat when installing your ferrules and compromised the adhesive that was used to secure the carbide tips.

And lots of us don't live in snow country. I remember several years ago rollerskiing in Griffith Park, in LA, with 20 other skiers every Sunday! The Los Angeles demographics have changed a bit since then, but I'm sure there are still guys out there rollersking, and eagerly waiting for that first long drive to Mammouth/Tahoe.

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:21 pm

Chris wrote:I'm not fond of the Exel roller ski ferrules. The heat treat or the material composition is off and I tend to chip the metal on them when I ski hard. The ones I bought recently are a few years old, so maybe they have been improved since.

I use Exel tips, and I found they indeed chip. However, chipping does not prevent them from working decently. I am on my second pair now, the first one lasted about 4 months of rollerskiing about 2-3 times/week, ~18-20K each workout.
I resharpen them after every workout - that helps to prolong their life since they retain their correct shape a bit longer.

Has anyone used the Skike tips? Skikes seem fashionable now, and perhaps their products are of good quality?

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Postby TooHeavy » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:11 pm

Never had a problem with exel it is all I have ever used for the last 30 years or so.

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:55 am

Broke another one on Friday. During both incidents I was (1) on super soft asphalt where the ferrule digs in super deep and (2) was traveling fairly fast (~25 KPH). I'm thinking this might be a bad combination. As a solution I'm thinking about outfitting my poles with a "quick release" tip. This way I can bring a spare set and change on the fly if needed (I can't imaging heating a pole tip with a lighter to loosen the glue). Rex and Fischer make them:

Rex: http://finnsisu.com/store/rollerskiing/ ... -8-mm.html

Fischer: https://www.fischersports.com/en_en/tec ... tip-system
Dave in Nordic Virginia

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Postby TooHeavy » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:47 pm

Your doing something wrong. You must be hammering them into the ground or something . Let them touch down before you apply pressure.

Return to “Roller Skis”