Effects of bindings/boots location on rollerski handling

Moderator: Moderator Group

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Re: Effects of bindings/boots location on rollerski handling

Postby skiffrace » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:18 pm

I think you should get real ski boots or roller ski boots with a proper ski binding. I recommend combi boots.

Ah, this is another story, and a good one.
I initially bought the whole package: real ski boots + bindings, in an attempt to feel like a *real (roller) skier*
For the following year I suffered: discomfort, aching feet, bad blisters etc.
Still, I soldiered on trying to convince myself that it will get better with time.
Finally, on June 6th my Rotofella bindings failed catastrophically. The little internal metal tongue that engages the metal bar at the tip of the boots broke in half - metal fatigue I assume, because there is no direct 'user interaction' with it.
I fell badly, bruised my ribs in the process and was out of commission for 2 weeks.

Next, I took a pair of old running shoes and screwed them directly to the top of the rollerski - with do in in rowing shells all the time.
You are smiling with disbelief now, but that actually worked 100%.
Perfect comfort, and control even better than with the dedicated ski boots.
I picked shoes with very thin sole, that raised my center of gravity less than the combined height of bindings+ ski boots, and that in turn made the whole setup more stable, especially on uneven surface.
I assume this would not work with skating technique, but for the type of rollersking I do (flat, straight trail) it worked perfectly.

The problem? It started raining here in Oregon. I had to either put on the rollerskis next to my car, or walk (barefoot) to the trail.
My socks were getting wet, so on to another solution.
I pilfered some old snowshoes, and after some hacking adopted their bindings to the rollerskis.
It works somewhere in between : not as good as the sneaker-to-ski direct, not as badly as the ski boots+bindings.
I will keep on using them for some time, and then decide what's next.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:50 pm

skiffrace wrote:
Magnus Johansson wrote: I think you should get real ski boots or roller ski boots with a proper ski binding. I recommend combi boots.

Ah, this is another story, and a good one.
I initially bought the whole package: real ski boots + bindings, in an attempt to feel like a *real (roller) skier*. For the following year I suffered: discomfort, aching feet, bad blisters etc. Still, I soldiered on trying to convince myself that it will get better with time.

A more common reaction would have been to look for better fitting ski boots.

skiffrace wrote:Finally, on June 6th my Rotofella bindings failed catastrophically. The little internal metal tongue that engages the metal bar at the tip of the boots broke in half - metal fatigue I assume, because there is no direct 'user interaction' with it.

That is very rare. The first time I have ever heard of it.

skiffrace wrote:Next, I took a pair of old running shoes and screwed them directly to the top of the rollerski - with do in in rowing shells all the time.
You are smiling with disbelief now, but that actually worked 100%.

Smiling, but not with disbelief ...

skiffrace wrote:Perfect comfort, and control even better than with the dedicated ski boots.

Still smiling ...

skiffrace wrote:I pilfered some old snowshoes, and after some hacking adopted their bindings to the rollerskis.
It works somewhere in between : not as good as the sneaker-to-ski direct, not as badly as the ski boots+bindings.
I will keep on using them for some time, and then decide what's next.

I really think you should get good fitting and comfortable ski boots together with proper bindings and not discard that concept just because your first pair of ski boots were bad and your bindings probably damaged.

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:57 pm

A more common reaction would have been to look for better fitting ski boots.

I assumed the problems were due to me being new to this.

That is very rare. The first time I have ever heard of it.

Well, there is always the first time - I did not invent this for the sake of a good story.
I called the store where I bought them, and they said they will send me a replacement if I return the bad bindings.
Initially that was my plan, but then I tried the sneakers solution, and it worked so well that I kept it.

I really think you should get good fitting and comfortable ski boots together with proper bindings and not discard that concept just because your first pair of ski boots were bad and your bindings probably damaged.

I do keep it as an serious option. Actually, perhaps even soon. In a few months we're moving to Spain. I don't plan on dragging my old rollerkis there. I may just buy a new set, and try the bindings/boots option again.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Mon May 15, 2017 1:01 pm

skiffrace wrote:In a few months we're moving to Spain. I don't plan on dragging my old rollerkis there. I may just buy a new set, and try the bindings/boots option again.

Tom, have you bought a new set yet?

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Thu May 18, 2017 9:28 am

Skiff- In reading your posts I come across mention of " lifting the rear of the ski." I don't lift the rear of the ski; it just lifts as I transfer my weight, get forward and kick the ski. Are we talking about the same thing? Doesn't seem to be associated with binding location which is a detail I never worry about.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu May 18, 2017 11:07 am

davidb wrote:Doesn't seem to be associated with binding location which is a detail I never worry about.

David, how come you don't think the balance of a roller ski -- or a ski for that matter -- is associated with binding location?

Return to “Roller Skis”