Jenex V2 - views?

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Jenex V2 - views?

Postby Neuro » Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:26 am

Would be interesting to compare notes on these skis. I have the V2 XLRM skate which is the previous model with composite frame and aluminum forks. The new one has polymer and better designed forks (integrated fenders doubles as stiffeners).

As they were my first and only I can't compare to anything - but what I can say, apart from how great it is with the brakes and speed reducers - is that there is definitely a flex in the frame as promised which is good for the feel, but the forks bend very easily because of poor design and tracking was lost early on which is a bit of a pain.

Jenex support is also quite poor as the contact form on the page doesn't work, and phoning was told there are no spare forks to be had which I find more than a bit weird.

What's your views?
Attachments
Jenex V2 XLRM with brake and reducers.jpg
Jenex V2 XLRM with brake and reducers.jpg (11.57 KiB) Viewed 4437 times
Last edited by Neuro on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Re: Jenex V2 - views?

Postby skiffrace » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:46 pm

I have a different V2 model : XL150RC, so not all my comments may apply to your rollerskis
http://jenex.com/products/roller-skis/c ... egory_id=5

After 20 months of using mine, here is what I think:

+ The double wheel in the back provides good stability for Sunday roller-skiers (that's me)
+ The speed reducers work very well, in some conditions (read below)
+ The inflatable wheels provide some cushioning, assuming you run them at low pressure (I use ~30 psi)
+ The main aluminum shaft, while heavy and crudely welded, is still in one piece, unlike one I had in 2000.
+ The stock tires are good quality and last long time.

-- If you ever have to change a flat, you'll regret you were ever born. 10x more difficult than changing bicycle tire. Jenex is "helping" by trying to sell you a contraption to help with the tire change. After watching the demo video you'll think "with friends like that..."
-- Heavy and difficult to maneuver.
-- Crudely made, with low-quality welds. You'll understand what I mean if you compare it with, say, German Powerslide rollerskis aluminum shaft:
http://www.rollerski.co.uk/powerslide_classic.html
-- Low clearance for what Jenex is touting as off-road rollerski - only 2.5cm. Again, Powerslide provide 4.5 cm
-- If you use the speed reducers for a long time in dry conditions (ex-descent of many kms), the heat generated by the friction will eventually cause the seam of the inner tube to fail. It happened to me more than once.
However, if used in wet conditions (which is almost always where I currently live), they work well - water provides constant cooling

Back in 2000 I had one of their earlier "off road" models, where forks were attached to the shaft with some bolts. What a piece of s@$t it was!
After one year of weekend use the entire frame became useless because the bolts kept "eating" at their holes drilled in ultra-soft (cheapest) aluminum used for the frame. Eventually, the holes became so large the entire structure had to be thrown away.
Now, 15 years later I took another chance with Jenex, and regret it again.
If you want good rollerskis, buy from makers that have long tradition of making this product (ie. someone in northern Europe)

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:35 am

I purchased the 150SC which Jenex converted to the RC model for me. I really like them for what they are. I use them on a smooth mix-use paved path and they work well. They roll over lose gravel and small twigs without much trouble. They are very good for double poling but IMO too heavy for striding. Also, forget about using them off road (or even on a smooth dirt road - impossible.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:47 pm

I bought a pair of the Jenex V2 125mm pneumo wheel skate rollerskis when they first came out. How long ago was that? Feels like forever ago.

They went through several sets of wheels trying to sort out a durable wheel solution. Whatever they ended up with now works fine for me. I've learned to keep the pressure at 90-100psi for my 175-80 lb body. Takes a few minutes before each session to verify "top off" all wheels.

I recall two design problems: *impossible tire replacement w solid wheel provoked production of 2-part wheels. *better tires. Both fixed.

Anyway, I've been using a set-up with a "steady state" for several years now, no flats or changes. I try to remember to change skis at the halfway of every workout. (Lee Borowski tip, as I recall.) They are smooth, go over debris and chipseal. Happy finally.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:39 am

Anyway, I've been using a set-up with a "steady state" for several years now, no flats or changes.

What setup (wheels, tires ?) are you talking about?

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:21 am

Off topic: Tom, for a moment I thought you had chosen the regarding cross-country skis popular angora goat for your avatar, but after looking a little closer I believe it is another kind of goat.

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:33 am

but after looking a little closer I believe it is another kind of goat.

The goat's highly intellectual expression reflects my current mental state after recent events here in the US.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:55 am

skiffrace wrote:
but after looking a little closer I believe it is another kind of goat.

The goat's highly intellectual expression reflects my current mental state after recent events here in the US.

Ha, ha! Would you like to start a thread about it under Way Off Topic?

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:00 pm

skiffrace wrote:
Anyway, I've been using a set-up with a "steady state" for several years now, no flats or changes.

What setup (wheels, tires ?) are you talking about?

I suppose it's their latest version of the 125. Don't know if they sell it anymore. 2-piece wheel. Tires are INNOVA. They appear to be getting sidewall splits. But I've noticed those for a few years. Haven't gotten worse lately.
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Postby blckdmnd » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:38 pm

I use the v2 xlq98? right now. I put hundreds of k's on the last set of wheels. I just replaced the wheels this year and they took some getting used to and some adjusting of the front levers to get them to track right. I spent about 20 minutes total on an easy fairly flat stretch with no traffic to adjust them and get them to run right. Once that was done they run great. I am one of the people that doesn't use a brake or speed reducers (im able to use some great pavement with minimal if any traffic). I find these to feel quite similar to skiing on good quick snow conditions with a medium speed wheel. They feel great underfoot with a flex you can make out and feel when you really push on them. In my opinion they are a great training tool that I trust to work for me everytime with little to no adjustments.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:15 am

I was going to get the XLQ98 too, but the shop said the polymer forks was for skiers at max 180 lb and as that's around my weight so didn't risk it. He himself was slightly over and found the forks to be flexing sideways which was not nice.

blckdmnd
xcskiforum 20K

Postby blckdmnd » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:28 pm

I hadn't heard that, but I can see why it would convince one to look elsewhere. I am in the 165-170 range depending on the day and haven't had any problems. With snow coming this weekend im hoping to ditch them soon anyways. 8)

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Postby TooHeavy » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:05 am

I have a pair of 150 skate model (air tires) They are great for the rail trail I use them on. Crushed gravel base. Tires show no wear and I would estimate about 300 km so far. Heavier stone can trip you up though.

Return to “Roller Skis”