Quionne carbon fiber rollerskis

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Quionne carbon fiber rollerskis

Postby Neuro » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:25 pm

As my Jenex V2's forks are bent and with no replacements available, I've been checking out most brands looking for my next purchase and find this really interesting as it's all in light weight and strong carbon fiber, and has a very simple but ingenious flex system that seems to work well, at least from watching the video. They claim it's durable too. http://www.quionneworld.com/language/en/

The overall design seems quite clever and I guess being carbon fiber the forks will not really bend either so the tracking should keep. They come in different stiffness models (up to 120kg max), and can come mounted with a Ski Skett foot brake which is a must for me at least. Priced at €350 so similar to other skis, and for carbon fiber that seems quite reasonable, what do you think?

Blah
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Quionne carbon fiber rollerskis

Postby Blah » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:13 pm

Good luck with that...I'd buy from a company based in your country so you can get service. A lot can go wrong on a rollerski.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:23 am

Quionne roller skis have been very well received by skiers here in Sweden. The wide shaft and the snow-like feeling they give have been appreciated. I have not tested them myself but it would be very interesting to do so. However, I think they are too short.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:29 am

Neuro wrote:As my Jenex V2's forks are bent and with no replacements available, I've been checking out most brands ...

Did you find any that I have missed?: https://rollerskis.wordpress.com/brands/

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:48 am

Blah wrote:Good luck with that...I'd buy from a company based in your country so you can get service. A lot can go wrong on a rollerski.

Yes I would also like to buy in a shop as I really don't want to risk changing wheels etc myself, but the selection is limited to a few brands, mostly Marwe and Swenor. Although they are of course nice, they might not be the best out there so have to check around.

Magnus Johansson wrote:
Neuro wrote:As my Jenex V2's forks are bent and with no replacements available, I've been checking out most brands ...

Did you find any that I have missed?: https://rollerskis.wordpress.com/brands/

Wow I see you make your own rollerski, that's awesome! How did that come about and what's the philosophy? Just for fun, or because you couldn't find what you wanted? Why pure wood and do you make the forks too?

About other makers, I thought I had checked all when making a list for a wiki, but your list was much more comprehensive. Don't know how you found them all as some were quite obscure. Hosprint doesn't even have pictures of their products.. ;)

The only ones I had on my list not on yours are Powerslide and I-GLITI, but seems the latter is bought by SRB maybe?

Quionne too short you say? From videos, it looks the same as Swenors for example?

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:23 pm

Neuro wrote:How did that come about and what's the philosophy? Just for fun, or because you couldn't find what you wanted? Why pure wood and do you make the forks too?

I thought there was room for improvement. Wood is mother nature's own composite material and it let me choose a construction that otherwise would have been difficult to realize. Actually, I do not make any part myself. I let five different enterprises contribute with what they do best, and then I assemble the finished product.

Neuro wrote:The only ones I had on my list not on yours are Powerslide and I-GLITI, but seems the latter is bought by SRB maybe?

Yes, that may be so, and Powerslide has ended its roller ski production as far as I know.

Neuro wrote:Quionne too short you say? From videos, it looks the same as Swenors for example?

Yes, they are also too short.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:53 pm

Do you think rollerskis too short generally, or just those models? What are disadvantages? Balance point only?

As I would like to talk more about your skis, I made a dedicated thread about it here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4964

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:06 pm

Forgot to mention this interesting statement on Quionne's page:

"Quionne engineers customize your carbon fiber rollerski for your exact weight"

This sounds like with normal skis where each ski's flex will be measured to fit the user individually since each ski or batch have varying stiffness, or could it be that they are made to fit? Still quite nice. Should give max flex effect.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:17 pm

Neuro wrote:Do you think rollerskis too short generally, or just those models? What are disadvantages? Balance point only?

Yes, most models are too short. Balance, direction stability and ski-likeness are improved with longer roller skis. However, they are more demanding to use than shorter models.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:07 am

I asked Quionne if they would do a custom length rollerski, and they said yes but it would cost 2 to 3 times as much. Not sure I'm willing to fork out that much for it, but still quite interesting for the enthusiast or pro skier.

They are also experimenting with custom carbon fiber snow skis BTW.

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:56 am

Rollerskishop's new Pursuits for skate. (Great service!) Elpex Evolutions or Marwles for classic. If you can't service these-change wheels etc.- you've got problems. Spares easy to find, and not outrageous $.
Those carbonfiber things look like problems, structurally. Maybe if you're a WC guy who gets them free, but other wise, I'd be skeptical.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:35 pm

Thanks for the tips. I see the Pursuit Fork Flex is a clear favorite in a 2016 Fasterskier comparative test which counts for a lot too. I've just dismissed them so far because the forks look they will bend sideways being very thin spring metal and with no sideways support. But that is anyway for another thread to go into.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:54 pm

The Quionne was part of a comparative rollerski test by XC-Ski, April 2016: https://www.xc-ski.de/material/skirolle ... bon-fiber/

Text is in German only, but translated:

The Quionne Carbon Fiber comes in a futuristic design and consists mainly of carbon. According to our testers, the broad frame did not contribute to a more stable foundation. With regard to the ski feel, the testers were in disagreement. On average the Quionne received good reviews. It is supplied in three degrees of stiffness according to the weight of the skier.

Category: Training Skating Racers
Weight (per ski): 700 grams
Wheel width: 26 millimeters
Wheel diameter: 100 millimeters
Material wheel: rubber
Material frame: Carbon / foam core

Ski-like flex: 12 of 15
Road grip 13 of 15
Stability 12 of 15
Handling 12 of 15
Push-off behavior 12 of 15
Cushion / damping 13 of 15

Completely well rated rollerski in the upper price segment. 4 out of 5 stars

It was rated below the test winner Swenor Skate Elite, and also the runner-ups Marwe 620 XC Skate, Vauhti Skate Exceed Carbon and Skigo NS Red Skate.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sun May 21, 2017 10:42 am

Here from a comparative test by Skisport.no from 2015. It came 2nd to Swenor Skate.

Axle spacing: 570 mm
Wheel diameter: 100 mm
Wheel Width: 24 mm
Weight: 1448 g
Length: 570 mm

Rating: A very good ski that is especially suitable for lighter skiers. Feels very lightweight and with a special construction that makes you almost unaware that you have skis on your feet. Good directional stability and with a flex in the body that is very positive.

Character: 5 + (of 6)

Return to “Roller Skis”