FasterSkier 2016 rollerski review

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

FasterSkier 2016 rollerski review

Postby Neuro » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:08 am

"..we had a test team of seven people. In total, we had over 150 years of ski experience, an Olympic gold medalist, a world champion, and three veterans of World Cup ski-testing protocols... ....we took this very seriously and put a ton of time into it"

Skate: http://fasterskier.com/fsarticle/living ... ki-review/

Classic: http://fasterskier.com/fsarticle/living ... ki-review/

Sounds like a good review that can be trusted, and quite interesting to see the favorites topped by newcomers in both the skate and classic categories.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Re: FasterSkier 2016 rollerski review

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:12 pm

I find it odd that the roller skis do not seem to have been tested with identical bindings.

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:57 am

For an alternative point of view, see German xc-ski.de website ranking results. The winner of faster skier in classic category is absent altogether, the runner-up Marwe are far down the line. Use google translate if you want to read what they say:
https://www.xc-ski.de/material/skiroller-test/

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:08 pm

I find it interesting that Swix C2 was ranked higher than the Elpex Evolution. I own and use both; to me, the Evolution is much better.

Also, the reviewer posted a picture of a delamination on a Revolution and delams are a serious issue, but the photo showed a loose skid pad not a delame. My experience with these skis is that they are maintenance free and bulletproof.

What's important too is the availability/cost of replacement wheels.The last time I ordered a rear wheel for my Swix C2s, the retail price was $76! and it wasn't in stock.

Elpex wheels are available in three different speeds are reasonably priced and always available.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:25 pm

skiffrace wrote:For an alternative point of view, see German xc-ski.de website ranking results. The winner of faster skier in classic category is absent altogether, the runner-up Marwe are far down the line. Use google translate if you want to read what they say:
https://www.xc-ski.de/material/skiroller-test/

Thanks, that's interesting. Not sure about the race / hobby categories though..

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:13 pm

No Jenex rollerskis tested?
Dave in Nordic Virginia

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:07 pm

I have Marwe 610 (on a second set of wheels) and Swenor Elite (fiberglass) rollerskis. My Marwe's need new wheels again (but could still be skied for another summer), so I end up using the Swenors. Anyway:

Marwes: Just about everyone in our group uses Marwe. I'll just call this one the standard.

Swenors: They roll a bit smoother and they're a bit faster than the Marwe's. They slide a bit more (less grip) in wet conditions. Cornering and stability is the same between the two. If (when) I get new wheels for the Marwe's, maybe they will be as smooth as the Swenors. (The difference is fairly small.) I also think the difference may well be due to worn wheels because skiing on worn wheels is like driving a car with large rims and low profile tires. There's not much rubber to act like a shock absorber.

So, if you can get a deal on either pair, I'd get that pair. I'm a bit bewildered by how the Swenors were not liked as well as the other three pairs. I think they are a bit heavier.

Also, I skied a buddies Marwe combi classic skis a couple weeks ago, and they were COMPLETELY different than my Marwe classic rollerskis. I think skiers get used to certain skis, and they will like similar skis. I'm betting the test group has spent a lot of time on Marwe's, so the Marwe's tested well.

Finally, the wheels make a huge difference, ESPECIALLY on classic skis. Many wear their wheels in weird patterns (not flat) and when you ski on their skis, it's like wearing their jeans. It doesn't feel right.

Jay

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:27 am

One non-negotiable item I must have is a brake since I'm rollerskiing nearly 100% on a very unpredictable mix use rails-to-trails bike path. I'm looking for something more "snow ski-like" compared to the Jenex V2 RC150. I will be almost exclusively double poling. Here is my short list of classic rollerskis with brakes that I am considering:

Woodski Classic
Elpex Wasa Evolution Classic
Jenex XLQ9848 Classic

Thoughts?
Dave in Nordic Virginia

MN Hoser
Ski Forum God

Postby MN Hoser » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:51 am

dcpattie wrote:Woodski Classic
Jenex XLQ9848 Classic

Thoughts?

I don't know of any of them. Regarding no testing of Jenex. They used an aluminum box frame for years, and most people hated it. (Me included.) The successful designs use some type of composite shaft (Marwe started with something like a ski) and then for skate, narrow wheels. I see that Jenex has finally offered a skate ski with a narrow wheel. Not sure if they're getting away from the aluminum frame. (Lots of vibration)

Jay

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:29 am

dcpattie wrote:One non-negotiable item I must have is a brake since I'm rollerskiing nearly 100% on a very unpredictable mix use rails-to-trails bike path. I'm looking for something more "snow ski-like" compared to the Jenex V2 RC150. I will be almost exclusively double poling. Here is my short list of classic rollerskis with brakes that I am considering:

Woodski Classic
Jenex XLQ9848 Classic

Thoughts?

There is a big difference between pneumatic tires and solid tires when it comes to vibration damping and coping with uneven road surfaces. Since you almost exclusively double pole the vibration damping difference will be very clear, so maybe your suggested roller skis look more snow ski-like but I don't believe they will feel the same way. However, if you really want to change roller skis I think you should choose a model with very big solid wheels like Ski Skett Sport Classic 2: http://www.skiskett.com/sport-line/spor ... 2/?lang=en

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:22 am

dcpattie wrote:No Jenex rollerskis tested?

A bit strange not to be in the FasterSkier test, but the XC-Ski.de one has them. Skate, classic and off-road. Didn't fare too well though.

I see from an answer to a question in the comment section in XC-Ski about the lack of certain brands that they just weren't supplied by the manufacturer.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:58 am

dcpattie wrote:One non-negotiable item I must have is a brake since I'm rollerskiing nearly 100% on a very unpredictable mix use rails-to-trails bike path. I'm looking for something more "snow ski-like" compared to the Jenex V2 RC150.

Ski-like as in frame flexing? About brakes, you can get universal brakes that will fit any ski from Jenex, Ski Skett and Pursuit.

Have a look at the test winners:
IDT Classic Elite
Vauhti Classic Carbon Fiber PSS 730

Return to “Roller Skis”