Where do you rollerski?

Moderator: Moderator Group

Pat
xcskiforum 20K

Re: Where do you rollerski?

Postby Pat » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:02 am

I have a 1/2 mile crushed limestone path/track that is near my work. Can get a bit mushy when it has been raining but the Skikes I use seem to handle it well. Mostly doing double poling and diagonal arm work like in classic but I keep the skis parallel. Pretty solid workout. I do have a question for you folks. Is it worthwhile getting a ratcheting front wheel to practice classic? With the Skikes I have, which work great, you are skating only. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Pat

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:48 am

Pat wrote:Is it worthwhile getting a ratcheting front wheel to practice classic? With the Skikes I have, which work great, you are skating only. Any thoughts?

Classic roller skis for classic (with at least one ratcheted wheel per roller ski), and skate roller skis for skate. Skikes are not real roller skis.

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Postby TooHeavy » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:38 pm

Pat wrote: I do have a question for you folks. Is it worthwhile getting a ratcheting front wheel to practice classic? With the Skikes I have, which work great, you are skating only. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Pat

Ya the ratchet systems will not give you actual snow like conditions. Way to positive grip. Just work on your double poling with your Skikes to improve upper body strength. Much more important than striding with ratcheting classic roller ski's.

Pat
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Pat » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:05 pm

OK thanks for the advice and I appreciate the help.

Pat

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:33 pm

Is the 1/2 mile crushed stone path the only place where you can rollerski? Then you may want to stick with what you have.
As Magnus said, you need a dedicated equipment for classic vs. skate.
The reviews of skikes with ratcheting front wheels are not good - they supposedly are way off from the dedicated classic rollerskis feel.
If you have some longer rollerskiig course available, consider getting a dedicated pair of rollerskis for classic style.
The classic diagonal style is "purest" x-country skiing (if there is such thing)
It is most versatile and it gets you the best whole-body workout of all the styles, unlike Pro Loppet-oriented fads like double poling.

Pat
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Pat » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:25 pm

Thanks I'll take your advice on the Skike ratchet wheel -- just always looking for another "Nordic ski" type workout. I have a pair of CAT skis that were a great workout but I also found myself doing a fare amount of maintenance on them and also seemed to tear up my boots a bit -- great workout though.. I do other land training like pulling a tire behind me while using ski poles, hill bounding, surgical tubing for double pole work, Nordic Trak (both machines I have I found almost brand new post neighborhood garage sales), slide board etc... Having said all that, I'd much rather be doing my workouts outdoors and since my snow season here seems to be getting shorter each year I'm game for other ideas. The Skikes give me an excellent workout and kind of like the reliable brake on them. I do go other places occasionally with them other than the path I mentioned earlier. Pretty hilly around here and I guess after surviving years of flying military aircraft and now years of commuting on I-95 that I'm a little risk adverse. So I guess that is why I steered away from a traditional classic roller ski -- but hey I've never tried one. Far more interested in the workout then the speed -- any ideas then on classic roller ski setup that would give me that?
Those of you on this forum understand the desire to get out there and have fun, live the vigorous lifestyle, and enjoy the gear that you have and use. Thanks for that and the great advice.

Pat

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:01 pm

Pat wrote:So I guess that is why I steered away from a traditional classic roller ski -- but hey I've never tried one. Far more interested in the workout then the speed -- any ideas then on classic roller ski setup that would give me that?
Those of you on this forum understand the desire to get out there and have fun, live the vigorous lifestyle, and enjoy the gear that you have and use. Thanks for that and the great advice.

If you really want to become a better cross-country skier and have fun at the same time you should get real roller skis. Real roller skis are that important. If you don't want to go fast you can use slower wheels like 3's or even 4's if you use solid wheels, or lower the air pressure in pneumatic tires (on skate roller skis that is however not an ideal solution). Another option is to use speed reducers, a mechnical device pressing on the front wheel.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:36 pm

Hi Pat what tracks are there other than the one you mentioned? Is there a good asphalt bicycle lane somewhere? I might be biased here, but skating is very good fun and gives the legs a workout too. Most classic rollerskiers I see are mostly double poling except on the steepest parts, but with skating the legs are active all the time. Like Magnus said, get the slower wheels if speed is an issue, but there are anyway brakes that will fit most models.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:13 am

Neuro wrote:Most classic rollerskiers I see are mostly double poling except on the steepest parts, but with skating the legs are active all the time.

Yes, that is true, but if one uses slow wheels in classic not only is the speed reduced but the legwork has to be more active.

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:41 am

Let me make one thing clear: Classic skiers are always smarter, better looking and just superior people; skaters are mostly Bolsheviks.

I think your current workout is perfect.

Pat
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Pat » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:39 pm

Well I've waited for 60 years to have someone say what I am doing is perfect.... Once again thanks for all the sound advice. I'm leaning towards purchasing some classic roller skis -- something that will be forgiving. Any advice on the V2XLA9848? I have a hard time resisting a great workout that is outdoors, fun and that I don't have to travel great distances to use.

Pat

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:13 am

Thanks, David and Pat, for your humorous comments; they make being here not only interesting but also fun.

I believe Jenex V2 XLA9848 to be a good choice.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:11 am

Lol at "bolshevik skaters" :D

About the Jenex aluminum ski, some here are not too happy with it, and even their top composite ski doesn't get favorable review in the XC-Ski.de test, check these links:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4968
https://www.xc-ski.de/material/skirolle ... 0-classic/

davidb
xcskiforum 30K

Postby davidb » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:32 am

Pat- First, I wasn't kidding about skaters!

I know very little about classic rollers, but availability/cost of spares and in particular, wheels, is important.

But, in terms of performance, I like my Elpex skis more than my Swix C2s.

Wish more of that cool European stuff was available here.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:47 pm

Pat wrote:I have a hard time resisting a great workout that is outdoors, fun and that I don't have to travel great distances to use.

Don't try to resist anything like that.

Return to “Roller Skis”