Anyone rollerskiing yet?

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Anyone rollerskiing yet?

Postby Neuro » Sat May 27, 2017 4:39 am

That's a clever and simple solution, although it seems it would take a few seconds to find and push the plate whereas the brake arm is much more immediate which is needed on the busy path where I am. More pressure can probably be put on it too so a bit more effective. Also not sure it might work 100% on thinner skate wheels?

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun May 28, 2017 2:35 am

AE has a similar brake but on the front wheel instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdfYHD4fukw
I assume both brakes can be put on either the front or back wheel. How about having two brakes? One on the front wheel and one on the back wheel, or one on each rollerski: front-front, back-back or front-back? Or a brake on every wheel so one can choose braking efficiency according to the situation and also even out the braking wear on the wheels?

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Sun May 28, 2017 4:15 am

I think using the poles in the front would be both easier and more effective. On a bicycle the front brake does all (or most of) the work (same with cars).

I use the jenex brakes, which generally do the job. I like the fact that its "right there" so I can start braking quickly if needed. The main issue with the Jenex system is braking on wet surfaces - basically there is none. I'm thinking of applying a rubber compound to the metal plate to help the brake "grab" more during panic braking situations. Of course it might be too grabby on dry days?
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun May 28, 2017 5:35 am

dcpattie wrote:I'm thinking of applying a rubber compound to the metal plate to help the brake "grab" more during panic braking situations. Of course it might be too grabby on dry days?

That would improve the grab. Elpex uses rubber brake shoes: https://www.skistart.com/eng/summer/rol ... omsen.html

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sun May 28, 2017 5:44 am

With the speed reducers in front and the brake arms in back (I have one on each ski), I have in effect brake on all corners and I use them all on every trip. On the steepest part of my run, the reducers are at max, and one brake is pushed so hard it hurts the calf. In this way I can get down, although the hill turns and the direction change needs lifting skis which takes some getting used to (I must lean forward just at that moment to prevent the skis overtaking the upper body if you know what I mean).

Agree the brakes are rubbish when it's wet, and then probably Rollersafe is the only way to go as it's metal on metal and both brakes work at the same time I believe. Practically a disc brake. Very pricey though..

Return to “Roller Skis”