Anyone rollerskiing yet?

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Anyone rollerskiing yet?

Postby Neuro » Fri May 12, 2017 1:46 pm

Made of wood? And I guess they are long then? What's the pros and cons with that?

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat May 13, 2017 1:44 am

Neuro wrote:Made of wood? And I guess they are long then? What's the pros and cons with that?

Yes, they would be made of wood, and length and flex adapted to you. I personally do not see any cons, but since you want very light roller skis you might think they are somewhat heavy. Wood roller skis need a little extra maintenance but are very comfortable to ride. They also look good and are easily recyclable.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sat May 13, 2017 5:46 am

What type of wood do you use? I have no trouble with wood as my V2's are just wood with carbon wrapping.

The forks are like in your avatar picture where the ski becomes lower than the wheel centers?

You mentioned maintenance, what is there to do besides normal cleaning? Oiling?

What's the weight like?

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat May 13, 2017 8:47 am

Neuro wrote:What type of wood do you use? I have no trouble with wood as my V2's are just wood with carbon wrapping.

The forks are like in your avatar picture where the ski becomes lower than the wheel centers?

You mentioned maintenance, what is there to do besides normal cleaning? Oiling?

What's the weight like?

I use elm or ash, but e.g. birch, larch or maple are also available.

Yes, the forks point slightly upwards when the wheel diameter is above 80 mm so the wheel centers sit higher than the roller ski shaft, and the ground clearance is at least 30 mm for skate roller skis.

Besides cleaning one has to tighten the fork screws a few times per year, and depending on the wood finish it might have to be renewed like in the case with linseed oil or pine tar.

The weight is almost equal to or up to a few hundred grams higher per pair -- depending on the wood used -- compared to normal wood/glass fiber/carbon fiber composite roller skis.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sat May 13, 2017 10:05 am

Are the forks susceptible to bending like the old V2's, and are there easily available replacements? Do you have pics?

Another thing now that I think about it is I would like a dampening system like Rundle, Pursuit or even Quionne as the asphalt is really old in places and shake my fillings out.. After long trips my feet are actually tingling for hours after which can't be good so this is a real issue.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat May 13, 2017 11:00 am

Neuro wrote:Are the forks susceptible to bending like the old V2's, and are there easily available replacements? Do you have pics?

Another thing now that I think about it is I would like a dampening system like Rundle, Pursuit or even Quionne as the asphalt is really old in places and shake my fillings out.. After long trips my feet are actually tingling for hours after which can't be good so this is a real issue.

During my testing I have not managed to bend the forks. No, I can't say there are easily available replacements and I do not have any pics yet.

The most effective way to dampen road vibrations is to use pneumatic tires like the ones (ETRTO 32-89) on my avatar roller skis. That type of tires together with a vibration absorbing wooden shaft makes even very bad asphalt or oiled roads passable with roller skis. Those tingling feet shall be taken seriously.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sun May 14, 2017 12:46 am

Can you tell me more about the inflatable tyres? Are they interchangeable with normal ones? The ones I've seen until now are huge and look slow.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun May 14, 2017 2:20 am

Neuro wrote:Can you tell me more about the inflatable tyres? Are they interchangeable with normal ones? The ones I've seen until now are huge and look slow.

Here is CST's 32-89 (designated 6x1 1/4 with the old inch system): http://www.csttires.com/int/lawn-and-garden/c9287/

With "normal ones" do you mean solid tire standard skate roller ski wheels measuring 100x24 mm? A 32-89 wheel is a little over 150 mm in diameter. If the max air pressure of 90 psi is used it is not particularly slow.

The roller skis in the banner on http://rollerskis.wordpress.com have forks that can take both 100x24 or 32-89 wheels.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sun May 14, 2017 11:30 am

Interesting, what wheels do you put them on? With angled forks to make the ski lower, it might not be so bad with the extra height.

But I see your forks might have the same issue as the old V2s being prone to bumps.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun May 14, 2017 12:10 pm

Neuro wrote:Interesting, what wheels do you put them on?

I have hitherto not used CST but have instead bought complete wheels from Powerslide (with Kenda tires) and Innova. Kenda and Innova have now discontinued the production of these tires so as far as I know CST is the only manufacturer left.

Neuro wrote:With angled forks to make the ski lower, it might not be so bad with the extra height.

The extra height of the wheels is essential to get a smooth ride.

Neuro wrote:But I see your forks might have the same issue as the old V2s being prone to bumps.

Why do you believe so?

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sun May 14, 2017 1:46 pm

I'm just assuming from the pics so apologies if wrong, but there seems to be nothing between the forks to stiffen them from sideways force and the forks themselves are not boxed, but flat, just like the old V2s, bending relatively easily in that direction.

But to have forks where you can swap from PUs to inflatables is quite nice.

About inflatable tyres and wheels, what's your opinion on the Jenex ones?

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Mon May 15, 2017 1:58 am

Neuro wrote:I'm just assuming from the pics so apologies if wrong, but there seems to be nothing between the forks to stiffen them from sideways force and the forks themselves are not boxed, but flat, just like the old V2s, bending relatively easily in that direction.

I have not had any problems with the forks bending. What thickness and what type of aluminum alloy do the V2 forks have?

Neuro wrote:About inflatable tyres and wheels, what's your opinion on the Jenex ones?

I have only read that there are customers who are dissatisfied with them. I don't know what tire brand they are.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Wed May 17, 2017 2:59 am

The thickness is about 2.5 mm, don't know the alloy type. Like I said, the main trouble is that they are flat with not much sideways rigidity, as opposed to for example boxed types like this from Swenor:

(notice Swenor's speed reducers)

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Wed May 17, 2017 7:23 am

neuro wrote:About inflatable tyres and wheels, what's your opinion on the Jenex ones?

I would rate my experience with Jenex wheels, tires and tubes at 4.5 out of 5, so overall very good.
I have ~3K km on them so far, though very little recently.

1. Wheels: do the job. Most of the work is done by the front, ratcheted wheel, and I have read stories (of other brands) of the ratchet failing and wheel spinning both ways. Jenex wheels just quietly work, with little maintenance, which is exactly what's needed.

2. Tires: I don't know the manufacturer (perhaps CST) because the sidewall has only Jenex logo on it. However, the stock tires are very good - long lasting, smooth spinning, 0 flats. I got over 2K km from the front tire, and ~2.5K from the rear ones.
However, when time came to replace the tires, instead of spending $120 on 6 identical tires, I spent $50 on some Quin-chin-something non-descript tires that work just as well.

3. Tubes: the week link, but it may be related to my type of rollerskiing. I used the speed reducer a lot, sometimes for 10km+ at a time. The friction creates a lot of heat, and the heat appears to cause the tube to come apart at the seam. It happened at least 2x. Interestingly, if I rollerkied on wet roads (most of the time when I lived in Oregon) the water cooled the tire/tube and everything was OK. For someone who does not use the speed reducer, the tubes might work fine.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed May 17, 2017 9:01 am

Neuro wrote:The thickness is about 2.5 mm, don't know the alloy type. Like I said, the main trouble is that they are flat with not much sideways rigidity, as opposed to for example boxed types (...)

Thanks. I use 3 mm with a magnesium based alloy. The main trouble with the V2's might be the too thin construction and the alloy type, but of course, a box construction is sturdier.

Return to “Roller Skis”