Anyone rollerskiing yet?

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Anyone rollerskiing yet?

Postby Neuro » Wed May 17, 2017 1:43 pm

skiffrace wrote:I have ~3K km on them so far, though very little recently.

That's a good long way on one pair of skis. Image

About the replacement tire, where did you find it, and did you run it for long?

What happens when you have a puncture on inflatables? Always a catchable moment, or semi-dangerous?

What do you think about smaller pneumatic tires? Is there such a thing? I know Jenex used to have a 125 mod before the 150, but I guess there was a reason it was dropped?

I would also be interested to hear people who tried Rundle Flex skis with their dampening system. I see they have a new fork out too, lowering the ski 7mm. Looks quite sturdy too.

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Wed May 17, 2017 6:13 pm

Neuro wrote:That's a good long way on one pair of skis

Current V2 model, unlike one from early 2000s is sturdy and heavy. That's a good thing IMHO - if you want speed you should not be using these rollerskis.

Neuro wrote:About the replacement tire, where did you find it, and did you run it for long?

I bought these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J4 ... UTF8&psc=1
I see the current price went up to $15/tire. When I bought them in 2016 it was $9/tire
I have about 500 km on them, and based on current wear I extrapolate they will last for a lot longer.

Neuro wrote:What happens when you have a puncture on inflatables? Always a catchable moment, or semi-dangerous?

All my flats were very slow to develop. Only one prevented me from completing the workout. One was so slow I discovered it only the next morning.
I think it is possible to have a flat where the tire is deflating rapidly, but I think it's unlikely unless you recklessly rollerski over broken bottles while going fast downhill.

Neuro wrote:What do you think about smaller pneumatic tires? Is there such a thing? I know Jenex used to have a 125 mod before the 150, but I guess there was a reason it was dropped?

It appears there were reliability problems with the smaller wheels, and Jenex dropped them.

Finally, if you switch to inflatable tires, you need to know that getting a flat during typical use is unlikely. However, once you get that flat, replacing the inner tube is grotesquely difficult - 10x harder than changing a flat on a bicycle. The 6' tire is very small and sits very tightly on the wheel.
You need gorilla strength and macaque dexterity to pry the tire off the wheel, and then force it back on.

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Wed May 17, 2017 7:04 pm

I had my first flat (V2 Aero RC 150) last week. I had a good streak going, about 2-years on the dot.

the tires are getting pretty bald so I'm in the process of switching out all the tires.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Thu May 18, 2017 2:16 pm

skiffrace wrote:if you want speed you should not be using these rollerskis.

Could you or anyone say what's the difference in speed inflatables vs solids?

skiffrace wrote:replacing the inner tube is grotesquely difficult - 10x harder than changing a flat on a bicycle. The 6' tire is very small and sits very tightly on the wheel.
You need gorilla strength and macaque dexterity to pry the tire off the wheel, and then force it back on.

"macaque dexterity" lol
Yeah, I've seen Jenex sell a jig or tool for changing. I guess a required option then.

Main issue with inflatables when skating is from what I can gather pushoff not being great. The extra weight, and I guess slightly worse grip and also the height. But of course poor pushoff is not uncommon on snow skis when icy or wet, so not too unrealistic.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri May 19, 2017 12:12 am

Neuro wrote:
skiffrace wrote:if you want speed you should not be using these rollerskis.

Could you or anyone say what's the difference in speed inflatables vs solids?

That depends on the air pressure and the tread of the inflatables and the type of material in the solids and the road surface, but let's say we compare 90 psi inflatables of the CST model with PU solids on decent pavement, then there is a clear difference with the PU solids being faster. If we switch the PU solids for rubber solids number 2 the difference is much less and with number 3 solid rubber wheels the inflatables are probably faster. If the road surface is getting worse then the inflatables become the speed kings.

Neuro wrote:Main issue with inflatables when skating is from what I can gather pushoff not being great. The extra weight, and I guess slightly worse grip and also the height. But of course poor pushoff is not uncommon on snow skis when icy or wet, so not too unrealistic.

Pushoff is great with inflatables when run with 90 psi and I would say the grip is better than with solids, but they are more difficult to ski. Since they are heavier, higher and with better grip one has to be very precise in the strides and it is harder to correct mistakes. They are very difficult to brake with using the traditional snowplough technique.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Fri May 19, 2017 12:41 am

dcpattie wrote:I had my first flat (V2 Aero RC 150) last week. I had a good streak going, about 2-years on the dot.

the tires are getting pretty bald so I'm in the process of switching out all the tires.

Will you use the Jenex tire changing station: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX_YA-5Bohs
or maybe these tools?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHrK-KzrVdE

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Fri May 19, 2017 3:52 am

Magnus Johansson wrote:
dcpattie wrote:I had my first flat (V2 Aero RC 150) last week. I had a good streak going, about 2-years on the dot.

Will you use the Jenex tire changing station: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EX_YA-5Bohs
or maybe these tools?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHrK-KzrVdE

I saw the tire changing system and this "simplified" system still looks pretty intimidating - even for the guy that invented the device. I ended up just buying 6 new wheels. I know...its expensive but super easy.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Fri May 19, 2017 2:12 pm

@Magnus: Thanks for the info.

The alternatives to inflatables is of course solid tire skis with a dampening system like the Rundle mentioned above, and of others I know there's Pursuit which has forks made of spring metal:

The forks look very fragile, but the skis got good review recently in a FasterSkier comparative test.

The last one that comes to mind is Quionne which has a very simple but clever pivot point on the main ski body. With carbon fiber forks they shouldn't bend at all I believe so alignment will always be top.

Anyone know any other non-inflatable skis with dampening?

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat May 20, 2017 12:22 am

Neuro wrote:Anyone know any other non-inflatable skis with dampening?

Elpex has PU dampened forks, but only on classical style Evolution models, among them Wasa Evolution: http://elpex.se/modeller/evo2

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sat May 20, 2017 1:23 pm

Hm, can't find it described on their page?

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun May 21, 2017 1:55 am

Neuro wrote:Hm, can't find it described on their page?

Here is a picture of the forks. The black part is the PU cushioning, I believe.
https://www.skistart.com/eng/summer/rol ... -pack.html

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sun May 21, 2017 10:05 am

But how can you tell it's a flexing material? Where did you hear it? If it's not on their page, it might not really be the case.

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sun May 21, 2017 10:18 am

Neuro wrote:But how can you tell it's a flexing material? Where did you hear it? If it's not on their page, it might not really be the case.

I read some info on the fork suspension a few years ago, but if you don't believe it is like I am saying, I suggest you write to Elpex and ask. Please get back here with their reply.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Fri May 26, 2017 11:01 am

My brake broke. The 'cuff' part just fell off. Metal fatigue.

Luckily it happened on a flat and not on the super steep part on my run which I go down full brake and barely in control as it would have been a good scrape on the bum for sure.

Here is my ugly repair:

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Sat May 27, 2017 2:30 am

Neuro wrote:My brake broke. The 'cuff' part just fell off. Metal fatigue.

Have you tried braking with your pole, like this?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zthPcpd9KyE

Return to “Roller Skis”