Hypothetically: Pneumatic a Faster Wheel?

Moderator: Moderator Group

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Hypothetically: Pneumatic a Faster Wheel?

Postby dcpattie » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:41 pm

If you were building a fast rollerski with zero resistance, would a pneumatic "air" wheel be the fastest set-up? Perhaps a harder compound wheel like what inline skaters use?

Being able to soak up the bumps should be a factor as well as weight and wheel size.

Thoughts?
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Re: Hypothetically: Pneumatic a Faster Wheel?

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:12 am

dcpattie wrote:If you were building a fast rollerski with zero resistance, would a pneumatic "air" wheel be the fastest set-up? Perhaps a harder compound wheel like what inline skaters use?

Being able to soak up the bumps should be a factor as well as weight and wheel size.

Thoughts?

Very interesting questions, Dave. Here is one elaborate answer concerning bike wheels that I believe is relevant also to roller ski wheels: http://europebicycletouring.com/Comment ... tires.html

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Hypothetically: Pneumatic a Faster Wheel?

Postby dcpattie » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:09 am

Magnus Johansson wrote:
dcpattie wrote:If you were building a fast rollerski with zero resistance, would a pneumatic "air" wheel be the fastest set-up? Perhaps a harder compound wheel like what inline skaters use?

Thoughts?

Very interesting questions, Dave. Here is one elaborate answer concerning bike wheels that I believe is relevant also to roller ski wheels: http://europebicycletouring.com/Comment ... tires.html

29ers were all the rage about 5-years ago and now most MTN bikes are indeed on 29 inch wheels. I recall about 15 years ago the debate was 650 vs 700c wheel in triathlon - eventually the 700c wheels won out.

I think the Jenex Aero 150 series rollerskis could be quite fast IF Jenex took some weight (mass) out of the ski. I'd start with a carbon shaft and take a closer look at the hardware and find ways to reduce weight with lighter nuts & bolts. I bet they could take 150 grams out of each ski without too much difficultly.

I ask because I'm looking for a racing rollerski (classic) for an uphill race. I know many use the Ski Skett "BiTurbo" which is a 3-wheel rollerski like the Jenex RC150. The BiTurbo uses hard wheels.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Return to “Roller Skis”