Roller Ski balance skills

Moderator: Moderator Group

trotro
xcskiforum 10K

Roller Ski balance skills

Postby trotro » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:48 am

Hi,
I do a bit of roller skiing during the spring/autumn to keep my hand in but think I have a bit of a balance / positioning issue when skate skiing. My impression is that I'm skiing too much on the inside edge of the skate, from landing onwards. I think it is a fear issue with landing flat or even slightly on the outside edge of the roller ski.

What exercises do people suggest ?

When I get time over the summer I'll do some lessons.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Re: Roller Ski balance skills

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:02 am

trotro wrote:What exercises do people suggest?

Hello! I think agility and balance drills like the ones David Lawrence at XC Ski Academy proposes are good: http://www.xcskiacademy.com/blog/roller-ski-agility

After doing these drills for some time I believe you will overcome the fear of landing your roller skis flat, and instead strive after doing it in order to prolong the stride.

trotro
xcskiforum 10K

Postby trotro » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:52 am

Thanks, that it probably the best plan. There are some excellent roller agility videos on YouTube, some really cool skills like this one

https://youtu.be/zFgSHBtGA_Y

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:59 pm

trotro wrote:I think it is a fear issue with landing flat or even slightly on the outside edge of the roller ski.

I know this well. Have almost fallen several times getting on the outside edge with my misaligned Jenex V2 XL98RM, then after that it's playing it too safe on the inside edge.

But do you have good boots? Some boots and calf support seem way too soft to give much confidence.

I would also say your protective gear is part of it, as I found that after getting proper knee and elbow pads I started to explore the limits more.

trotro
xcskiforum 10K

Postby trotro » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:53 am

Neuro wrote:
trotro wrote:
But do you have good boots? Some boots and calf support seem way too soft to give much confidence.

I would also say your protective gear is part of it, as I found that after getting proper knee and elbow pads I started to explore the limits more.

I changed boots to Salomon carbon - I got some really cheap new. Before that my old Salomon skate boots went floppy in the summer heat.

Return to “Roller Skis”