ROLLER SKI AND RUNNING

Moderator: Moderator Group

Pat
xcskiforum 20K

ROLLER SKI AND RUNNING

Postby Pat » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:01 pm

I have mentioned on this forum before how much I think/know that roller skiing has been an outstanding addition to my running/racing. Last night was another proof to me that training works great together. As I get older, and my friends who have been excellent runners and racers most of their lives continually pop in with new injuries, I always tell them that I can get by with one good running workout a week and a couple of good roller ski sessions as my core training. They listen but nobody seems to ask where you get the gear or show any interest. Now you can look at any copy of "Runners World" magazine or other pubs associated with running and there is tons of advice about getting faster by interval training or nutrition or some type of new shoes or socks, but I've never have seen anything on Nordic Ski training of any sort. I'm sure that I'm wrong about that but none the less. Where I have found the greatest benefit to my running racing is in races like the 800m. Tough, fast race that hurts early but the skiing has really made the arms strong and taught me to really use them to drive hard the last 200m or so. I've also found that it has helped my javelin throwing considerably. Maybe both are in part with having to be conscious of technique. Anyhow I'm glad I found the Nordic sports and I also appreciate the sound advice the folks on the forum provide. Keep it going.

Pat

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Re: ROLLER SKI AND RUNNING

Postby Magnus Johansson » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:10 pm

Wonderful to hear, Pat. Roller skiing really is amazingly effective training for strength, endurance, coordination, balance and technique. It is quite fun too. You are yet another person to have discovered that.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:48 am

Interesting the running technique benefits from rollerskiing, but makes sense.

I too wonder why not more people are rollerskiing as skiing is regularly in the news as best exercise for dieters, I guess maybe people find it too risky and don't know there are brakes.

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:11 pm

I agree that running and nordic skiing are a great match. Another great match to nordic (especially double poling) is rowing! Rowing is almost the perfect opposite exercise of double poling yet the rhythm is similar.

One of my favorite workouts is 3x5k or what I like to call the "hour-of-power". The goal is to complete 5k on the rowing ergometer, 5k on the skierg, and a 5k run all under 1-hour. The watch starts on the first pull of the oar handle and stops at the finish line of the 5k run. Its a brutal workout but fun and challenging. Sort of a different take on triathlon.

You'd be surprised just how tired your legs are at the start of the run - double poling uses a lot of quads!
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Pat
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Pat » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:24 am

Yeah Dave -- I could see how that workout would get you attention. Are your ski erg and rower both from C2?

Pat

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:11 am

Yes, both concept 2. best money I every spent. You and purchase both the rowing erg and skierg for about the price of a crappy treadmill - no brainer!
Dave in Nordic Virginia

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:28 am

Pat: while roller-skiing and running are related, they are not equal as far as their fitness impact.
Running is an inherently hard sport - even a slow run is a noticeable effort for most athletes.
OTOH, on roller-skis it is easy to crank mile-after-junk-mile at HR of 130-140 (barely above fast walking), then put down in your training log "wow, 18 miles today!"
In your case, it looks like it were the hi-intensity roller-ski workouts (like pulling the tire) that helped to improve your running performance.
Good thinking and good job on your part!
Your approach is different than that of most runners. To them, it's their Nirvana sport (best in world), so why bother with doing anything else.
They are so thrilled to be in such an excellent aerobic shape that they never notice that they are inflexible, unathletic weaklings with good hamstring and calves, and atrophied muscles everywhere else (I am not talking sprinters here - that's different sport altogether)
This brings me to the point that while it was roller-skiing that did the trick for you,
chances are you could have improved your upper body and running performance through other cross-training activities, although not many of them would be so enjoyable as roller-skiing.

Pat
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Pat » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:09 am

Yep -- don't disagree with any of your comments. I've always tried to do total body type workouts and used to be a kayak racer also. The roller skiing does allow me to do hard interval type workouts without ripping up my legs doing the same running speed workouts like track intervals or hard hill running (although I still do that to keep the legs ready to run/race). So I think it has been a combination of honing some more strength and cranking on the aerobic/anaerobic side. Even though I still enjoy a good run, the roller skiing is a lot more fun and I look forward to it.

Stay healthy everyone and thanks for the inputs.

Pat

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:11 am

skiffrace wrote:Pat: while roller-skiing and running are related, they are not equal as far as their fitness impact.
Running is an inherently hard sport - even a slow run is a noticeable effort for most athletes.
OTOH, on roller-skis it is easy to crank mile-after-junk-mile at HR of 130-140 (barely above fast walking), then put down in your training log "wow, 18 miles today!"

That is not necessarily so. It depends on among other things the wheels. With really slow wheels the fitness impact is considerable.

Return to “Roller Skis”