How's the season going?

Moderator: Moderator Group

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

How's the season going?

Postby Neuro » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:24 pm

Have you been much rollerskiing this season? Anything to tell? New equipment or stories from the road? Changed or tried different styles?

Me I've hardly been out unfortunately. Maybe 5-6 times total. A bad back early on, and now engrossed with my new boat hobby. Also had to cut out weekend outings because of too many dogs and people which limits things even more. Plan is to pick it up more late summer/autumn though.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Re: How's the season going?

Postby Magnus Johansson » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:10 am

Very little roller skiing for me this season, deplorably; a little with my very young nieces who are getting into the sport. Yesterday, however, I tested my latest roller skis. More on them and that on my website.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:42 am

Yeah big grats on your latest ski. Looks very good.

Pat
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Pat » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:37 pm

Been getting out twice a week. Kind of taken over as the core of my training and build around that. Two days roller ski, one day run of some sort, one day yoga, one day of throwing javelin and whatever the other two days. Anyhow I enjoy the roller skis and seem to recover from a hard roller ski effort quicker than other workouts. Certainly helped the running competitiveness. If it hadn't been for you guys -- I never would have known enough about the sport. My many thanks.

Pat

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:51 am

Nice training routine. Wish I could do something similar too although not every day of the week. Been thinking about yoga as it happens. Can you tell a little about it? Do you work up a sweat or is it mostly 'stretching' exercises?

dcpattie
xcskiforum 30K

Postby dcpattie » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:34 pm

I've suffered a strange running injury that has limited my running to only 10-15k per week, So I've been skierg/rollerskiing about 90-100k per week all summer. Almost 100% DPing. I'm trying to get the timing down for kick/double pole but its tricky. I think I might be going too fast for it to be effective?
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:34 am

dcpattie wrote:I think I might be going too fast for it to be effective?

Yes, very likely. Try slower wheels.

Magnus Johansson
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Magnus Johansson » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:40 am

Neuro wrote:Yeah big grats on your latest ski. Looks very good.

Thanks!

Pat
xcskiforum 20K

Postby Pat » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:59 am

On the double polling even with my slow wheels/speed reducers, it seems the only time I can get my timing down with that is with a slight upgrade.

On the question of my yoga routine -- I've been doing it for years and have a routine of many different poses that I go between. I don't hold positions for longer than 3 breathes and it is more about moving my body into different positions than holding some stretch for a long period of time. I make sure I am really warmed up first. So my warm-up is to do one set of Tibetan Yoga exercises, two sets of Sun Salutations, then go through a variety of both standing and sitting yoga poses. Even if you do nothing but 30 minutes of continuous Sun Salutations that will wear you out. So I'm a fan and it is great for supplementing what we all like to do -- however you certainly can get injured doing yoga. Just have to respect your own limits and stay within that.

Pat

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:35 am

Pat wrote:On the question of my yoga routine -- I've been doing it for years and have a routine of many different poses that I go between. I don't hold positions for longer than 3 breathes and it is more about moving my body into different positions than holding some stretch for a long period of time. I make sure I am really warmed up first. So my warm-up is to do one set of Tibetan Yoga exercises, two sets of Sun Salutations, then go through a variety of both standing and sitting yoga poses. Even if you do nothing but 30 minutes of continuous Sun Salutations that will wear you out. So I'm a fan and it is great for supplementing what we all like to do -- however you certainly can get injured doing yoga. Just have to respect your own limits and stay within that.

Interesting, cheers. I might really make an effort to get into it over the winter.

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:23 pm

neuro wrote: I might really make an effort to get into it over the winter.

What do you plan to achieve with the yoga program?

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:01 pm

Help a bad back and generally become more supple.

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:04 pm

Then pilates may suit you better than yoga. They achieve similar goals but in a different way.
Yoga has a lot of uncomfortable, static stretching.
In pilates, you stretch a muscle by contracting the opposite muscle: ex stretch hamstring through contraction of the muscles in the front of the leg.
It feels more natural and more athletic: better suitable for a Western-style fitness program.

For back problems you need to strengthen the core - here is a very good program:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Gy73veJDA&t=1443s

It is a mix of core pilates exercises plus some yoga, with lots of stretching all over.
I used it for the past 6 months - it fixed my 50+ years of flexibility neglect.
For inflexible beginner with a weak core (myself 6 months ago) it's hard, but over time brings great results.

Neuro
xcskiforum 40K

Postby Neuro » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:41 am

Thanks, I'll definitely check that out. How often and for how long do you do it?

skiffrace
xcskiforum 50K

Postby skiffrace » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:21 am

How often and for how long do you do it?

I started about 6 months ago and initially was doing it 2-3x / week.
After a few months I made a substantial progress, and currently am in the maintenance phase when I do it 1 or 2x per week.

Return to “Roller Skis”