Skierg with Rollerskis?

Moderator: Moderator Group

Edgold73
xcskiforum 10K

Skierg with Rollerskis?

Postby Edgold73 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:49 pm

I came across the following video showing some using a skierg machine (ercolina, not the concept2) while wearing Rollerskis that roller on a wooden board. Anyone tried something like this this or think it would work with the concept2 skierg? Board should be easy enough to make.

http://double-poling.com/en/2016/11/16/ercolina/

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Skierg with Rollerskis?

Postby Pat » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:19 am

Yeah interesting. I have been very happy with my Skierg and the varied workouts I do on it. So not actually using the roller skis but a variety of different foot moves and double pole, double pole kick, free style, classic and having been a former competitive kayaker, I have found that sitting on a chair and using the handles in a kayak paddle motion does a great job of simulating the kayak paddle stroke. But I enjoyed the video and coming up with new things is what keep us interested and in the ballgame. Thanks

Pat

JeffOYB
Ski Forum God

Postby JeffOYB » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:46 am

how can they skate on the board?
Jeff Potter
http://OutYourBackDoor.com
indie outdoor adventure, culture, heritage
...bikes, boats, skis, luggage, media & more!

dcpattie
xcskiforum 50K

Postby dcpattie » Mon May 28, 2018 8:53 am

I'm also interested in this thread - if anyone sets up a platform to do this please post photos here.

Side note, I think you'd need to crank the resistance up to 8-10 - otherwise you'd fall flat on your face!
Dave in Nordic Virginia

dcpattie
xcskiforum 50K

Postby dcpattie » Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:34 pm

Another option (which I've done) is to wear slideboard booties while using the skierg. They can be a bit slippery for DPing but you can get a fairly realistic kick-double pole going while wearing them. I'll skierg to a 50K classic race on YouTube and just do the same technique I'm watching. If they're diagonal striding then I'm diagonal striding. When they kick double pole, I'll kick DP, etc. When they're in a downhill tuck I'll just continue to DP, when they're changing skis then I'll change shoes (ok, just making sure you're still following).

The slideboard booties are super cheap so its an easy investment. Also, I like to skierg with a zero drop shoe as I feel like I'm much more stable (and XC boots have very little heel drop).
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:24 am

dcpattie wrote:Another option (which I've done) is to wear slideboard booties while using the skierg. They can be a bit slippery for DPing but you can get a fairly realistic kick-double pole going while wearing them. I'll skierg to a 50K classic race on YouTube and just do the same technique I'm watching. If they're diagonal striding then I'm diagonal striding. When they kick double pole, I'll kick DP, etc. When they're in a downhill tuck I'll just continue to DP, when they're changing skis then I'll change shoes (ok, just making sure you're still following).

The slideboard booties are super cheap so its an easy investment. Also, I like to skierg with a zero drop shoe as I feel like I'm much more stable (and XC boots have very little heel drop).

That actually sounds like a fun way to use the Skierg, "skiing" along a race! I have never used any such machine in my training. But shouldn't you tuck when the skiers tuck?

dcpattie
xcskiforum 50K

Postby dcpattie » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:45 am

Magnus Johansson wrote:
dcpattie wrote:Another option (which I've done) is to wear slideboard booties while using the skierg. They can be a bit slippery for DPing but you can get a fairly realistic kick-double pole going while wearing them. I'll skierg to a 50K classic race on YouTube and just do the same technique I'm watching. If they're diagonal striding then I'm diagonal striding. When they kick double pole, I'll kick DP, etc. When they're in a downhill tuck I'll just continue to DP, when they're changing skis then I'll change shoes (ok, just making sure you're still following).

That actually sounds like a fun way to use the Skierg, "skiing" along a race! I have never used any such machine in my training. But shouldn't you tuck when the skiers tuck?

You could tuck during the downhill sections but it would be pointless, I just continue to DP to get the best possible workout.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Magnus Johansson
World Cup

Postby Magnus Johansson » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:37 am

dcpattie wrote:You could tuck during the downhill sections but it would be pointless, I just continue to DP to get the best possible workout.

Tucking would give a little static training and it is also a part of skiing technique.

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Pat » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:05 am

Dave -- is your Skierg wall mounted or do yo use the platform? Interested in your technique of using the slide board booties. I have a portable plastic slide board and may try to figure that technique out for the DP kick. Thanks.

Pat

dcpattie
xcskiforum 50K

Postby dcpattie » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:42 pm

Pat wrote:Dave -- is your Skierg wall mounted or do yo use the platform? Interested in your technique of using the slide board booties. I have a portable plastic slide board and may try to figure that technique out for the DP kick. Thanks.

Pat

I use the concept 2 stand. I don't need to have the slideboard under me to perform the kick DP, the booties are slick enough (on the C2 stand) so it's no problem at all.
Dave in Nordic Virginia

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Postby Pat » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:59 am

OK thanks Dave --- I'll give that a try.

Pat

Return to “Roller Skis”