Uphills

Moderator: Moderator Group

trotro
xcskiforum 20K

Uphills

Postby trotro » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:08 am

We've all seen "Climb to the Castle" and the Blink Festival where they climb the Norwegian "Alpe d'Huez" (Lysebotn Opp).

What tips do people have for climbing other than the obvious of "lose weight" and "build muscle". I find it much harder on rollerskis than skis.

Neuro
World Cup

Re: Uphills

Postby Neuro » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:19 am

Agree it seems harder on wheels, but generally is this endless climbing useful for anything? It sure isn't fun, and too hard training will take long to recover?

trotro
xcskiforum 20K

Postby trotro » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:06 am

Neuro wrote: but generally is this endless climbing useful for anything? It sure isn't fun, and too hard training will take long to recover?

Not for technique anyway, unless you are really strong.

I went out at the weekend, first real rollerski of the year, 16km and it was pretty hard, and that was all flat... on a bike path that follows the local river - you can do 90km on that path if you want.

trotro
xcskiforum 20K

Postby trotro » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:05 am

Ok advice from Martin Fourcade is to climb using double poling only (both with skate or classic skis) to build upper body strength. He reckons this will pay off in the winter as most non pro / competition level skiers lack arm and upper body strength.

I guess the idea to to start in rolling terrain or in a park where there is a mix of short, not too steep uphills.

Return to “Roller Skis”