Roller Skiing Area in Central Pennsylvania

Moderator: Moderator Group

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Roller Skiing Area in Central Pennsylvania

Postby Pat » Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:45 pm

Hi Folks -- last week I did a trip up to central Pennsylvania area with the intent of mostly roller skiing the Pine Creek Rail to Trail. For some of you on this site who live in the Northern Virginia area this might be a good option to explore. I know I will definitely go back to that area again. So for what it is worth, below is a little trip report.

http://pacanyon.com/PineCreekRailTrailMap.html

this other site has some info on stopping points/parking spots etc.

http://www.pinecreekvalley.com/Pine_Cre ... il_Map.asp

So here is what I did – my plan was to roller ski for about 3 hours each day. I did more like 2 hours each day basically because I was moving fast to stay ahead of the gnats/bugs that were out in force. This area had been hammered with rain for a number of weeks so the bugs went along with that. So that was the bad news. The good news is that despite all that water the trail was very skiable. The portions of the trail I was on were nice crushed limestone over very hard packed dirt/compound of some sort. Even the few parts that had water on them were easy to get around. Diagonal stride/double pole kick/double pole all good to go.

So I was mostly on the southern part of the trail – I went further north around the Slate Run area and the trail was no good. That portion was covered with pea gravel. I could slog through it but not worth it. The two parking spots that I launched from were “Whitetail” and “Waterville.” Waterville was terrific. The whole trail has nice scenery but up in the Waterville area the trail was perfect, great scenery, about 15 feet wide, and completely tree lined.

I camped in a state park (Ravensburg) and there are plenty of other state parks around. I’m sure there is lodging available in the surrounding area. There are some small towns (Jersey Shore, Williamsport, Wellsboro, and others). The Grand Canyon of Pa is at the top of the trail in Wellsboro area.

I would think the best way to have a good ski on the trail is some type of tag team where one group starts out and meets the other group and then the ones that just came off the trail drive up to the next spot etc. That way you wouldn’t have to do the out and back thing and be able to see new scenery. Basically have miles of flat (about 2% rise heading upstream) and user friendly trail. The traffic on the trail were a limited number of folks on hybrid style bikes, very few people on foot, and the debris from trees/leaves/sticks was easily spotted. The places that there are small road crossings have metal barriers that you can go around. I didn’t see a person or a biker who was not excited and interested to see someone roller skiing, and certainly the gnats/bugs were very impressed….

R.,
Pat

trotro
xcskiforum 20K

Re: Roller Skiing Area in Central Pennsylvania

Postby trotro » Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:57 pm

What skis did you use for the trail? did you take any pictures?

Pat
xcskiforum 30K

Re: Roller Skiing Area in Central Pennsylvania

Postby Pat » Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:30 am

I used my classic V2 XLA9848 skis -- worked well. As far as pictures go -- the links that I included have many pictures included and are true representations.

Pat

Return to “Roller Skis”