Need to send a message to local retailer ...

Post ski deals here. Retailers welcome.

Moderator: Moderator Group

kaNUK
xcskiforum 40K

Need to send a message to local retailer ...

Postby kaNUK » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:37 am

After we've put most of his kids through college, our local sports retailer has decided it was time to stop applying the "valued customer" discount which was associated with our account. My wife asked for a small discount on a pair of Sport Hill pants for our 6 year old, and was turned down by the assistant manager. (no explanation)

The discount wasn't huge, but it brought prices close to what I'd pay online after including shipping etc. I like the store, and like to support local businesses. We've bought a few bikes, countless skis and all kinds of accessories there over the years. A typical year would likely be about $5000 in sales (I just choked on my lunch thinking about that!), and more when bikes were bought.

So: Any recommendations for reasonably priced xc clothing and equipment online? Prefer Canadian location, but if US supplier offers decent shipping rates I'm open to that as well.

Thanks for your help!

kaNUK

PS - Sport Hill pants must have worked, as he flew through a 3.5 km run last night 8)

kuan
Ski Forum God

Postby kuan » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:29 pm

I hardly ever buy anything full price. Some online places I like:

Sierra Trading Post
Backcountryoutlet.com

Jon_Miller
xcskiforum 10K

Postby Jon_Miller » Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:36 pm

Our local retailers are experiencing the same economic outlook that the rest of the world is, and just in time for the Holiday season, which can make or break the year for some stores. Please cut the retailers some slack, they provide unique expertise that cannot be matched online. And even most of the owners of our local stores are not getting fabulously wealthy. I agree, buying clothes, and other items that do not require substantial fitting, online can be a great way to save money, please do not follow this course simply to spite a retailer that could already be facing tough times.

Askel
xcskiforum 50K

Postby Askel » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:55 am

Dude, you're Canadian. Be happy you can buy anything with those dollars of yours right now. :D

ChrisM
xcskiforum 20K

Postby ChrisM » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:01 pm

Here are two US retail shops that sell online and offer some good deals:

http://gorhambike.com/

http://www.skiguys.com/

Return to “Where are the best deals?”