XC Mtn Biker trying to get into XC skiing

Who are you?

Moderator: Moderator Group

mpetersen
xcskiforum 10K

XC Mtn Biker trying to get into XC skiing

Postby mpetersen » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:12 pm

Hello there,

I am an avid mtn biker (been riding and racing for 13 years). Now that I moved to a small(er) city in northern Canada, my wife wanted to get back into XC skiing. No problem because I am up for anything that will keep us outside for hours at a time. However, my wife has not skied since she was 8. I am from small town Nevada, I have never heard of XC skiing before.

Long story short, I rented a pair of skis (classic, I think) from our small chalet (no one runs it, it is honour based) and loved skiing (even though I fall over more than a newborn calf).

I have a question for all of the vets out there: the only XC ski shop here closed its doors this weekend. Their last day open, we went and got us some skis, bindings, poles, and boots (all NNN and classic style). However, since it was their last day open, they would not put on the bindings for the skis. My question is how do I mount the Rottefella NNN R3 bindings onto my Fischer Sport classic skis? The closest XC ski shop is a 2.5 hour drive away (according to Google Maps).

I am excited to join this sport, just new and need to learn more. Nice to meet y'all!

steener
xcskiforum 20K

Re: XC Mtn Biker trying to get into XC skiing

Postby steener » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:34 am

Welcome

This might help: viewtopic.php?t=1560

nxski
World Cup

Re: XC Mtn Biker trying to get into XC skiing

Postby nxski » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:59 pm

Where the pin connects should be right on the balance point. You need to use a sinkhole bit so you don't drill through the base. Since you don't have a jig, you may be able to find a print-out, or carefully place your binding on the ski and mark the screw holes. You need to be exact, if you're out my even 1mm, you'll have a crooked binding. Also, with NNN you have to set the heel plate so it matches up with your boot. Mount the front of the binding first, then slide the back into position so it lines up with the heel on the sole of the boot, mark the hole, drill and screw in place. Always use wood glue in the holes so they stay in place, but don't use epoxy as it can wreck your skis if you need to remove the binding in the future.

All this talk in the other thread about mounting behind the balance point is for someone very technical. All bindings are designed to be mounted on the balance point. Moving it behind by a centimeter will help in soft snow conditions and mounting it ahead will help in icy conditions, but centered is the best all-around position (this is the benefit of the new NIS plates, in that they can slide instead of having to be screwed in position.
"Live the life you love, love the life you live"

nes-design-construction.com

Nick Spurling

Return to “Introduce Yourself”