Newby ...

Who are you?

Moderator: Moderator Group

SteveAOhio
xcskiforum 10K

Newby ...

Postby SteveAOhio » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:40 pm

Ran into some on-trail issues and was looking for a place for answers. Found this forum via the very original method of a Google Search. Will search existing posts for an answer before asking something that may have already been answered.

We are here in Southwestern, OH. (Dayton area) - so not a super great deal of activity (or reliable snowfall year-after-year). My wife and I got classic x-country skis two Winters ago and sure have fun getting out and using them (on ungroomed trails so far). We'd like to try a local ski-camping outing in the next year or so (we already do canoe, bicycle and backpacking camping trips and have done some Winter car-camping). We will probably have questions like is a backpack or a pulk better for the weigths we'll be carrying, etc.

We do have a club here - but not always a lot of time to get to the side of town where they may be having an event. Also my wife's job involves seeing lots of folks every day - so she tends to prefer non-group activities for relaxation.

We are tandem cyclists and sure have got a lot of good information from the T@H discussion group. We are hoping to get similar great information and fellowship (so to speak) here too.
Last edited by SteveAOhio on Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveAOhio
Dayton (Southwest) OH

hoodoo40
xcskiforum 10K

Re: Newby ...

Postby hoodoo40 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:11 pm

I like winter camping, no crowds. I use a sled. Before I had a sled, used my internal frame pack. That worked also. Only bad part when you fell face first hard to get up in deep snow. ;)

I have a sled I bought to pull my son around, can't remember the brand. My son uses a home made one similar to the link below.

http://www.pmags.com/build-a-gear-sled- ... bagger-way

I usually wear a small day pack with the essentials and every thing else is in the sled.

Have fun.

John

SteveAOhio
xcskiforum 10K

Re: Newby ...

Postby SteveAOhio » Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks for the reply. We'll check out the sled link.
SteveAOhio
Dayton (Southwest) OH

Return to “Introduce Yourself”