Newbie in Tahoe City

Who are you?

Moderator: Moderator Group

jeffro
xcskiforum 10K

Newbie in Tahoe City

Postby jeffro » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:57 pm

Hi guys,

Newbie here. I am primarily an alpine snowboarder (hardboots + skinny carving board thing). Tahoe City is base. I did have a two-plank season, where I tried out split-boarding, does that count? It was just a few little trips off of the flat parking area near Mt Rose summit, and a trip or two to Waterhouse at Luther Pass. I didn't really like split-boarding, because it was just too much of a pain in the neck to transition between 'ski' mode, and 'snowboard' mode. Also, the more avalanche courses I took, the more frightened I became of avy, so I sold the splitboard and avy gear, and just stuck to riding resorts, figuring I would check out XC at some point in the future.

Other than that, I've never really tried real X/C skiing. Or any kind of skiing. But I've finally saved my pennies and got a tiny home base in the Lake Forest Glen area, and I've been contemplating X/C for some time. My across-the-street proximity to the highlands and general Tahoe X/C area makes it a no-brainer to try it out. I see they offer a free Wednesday lesson, so I'll probably give it a go after the holiday traffic dies down and I can sneak a day off from work.

So anyway, hello! Hope to meet some of you at Tahoe XC this season, I'll be the guy flailing all over the place on ancient rental gear.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”