Rookie from MN

Who are you?

Moderator: Moderator Group

abens123
xcskiforum 10K

Rookie from MN

Postby abens123 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:18 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm from MN and just bought my first pair of xc skis a few weeks ago. I have found some trails near by and absolutely love it! I think I'm addicted. I've really only skiied a handful of times so far this winter. I have 3 mile loop that I enjoy doing, but I'm curious if 1) I'm doing it alright and 2) what is a good speed to be going at.

Right now, it takes me about 50 minutes to complete the whole 3 miles...probably a little bit more than that, so ~ 3mph. What's a good attainable goal? I'm classic skiing too (though I really want to learn how to skate ski).

I'm also almost a year post ACL surgery, so I'm a tad leery of that too.

What is your advice for a newbie and how can I get faster?

I'm really excited about this new beginning for me.

Thank you.

Cbrummer
xcskiforum 10K

Re: Rookie from MN

Postby Cbrummer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:01 am

Have you checked out any videos on xc?

You can get an idea but don't worry about speed too much.

As you get more comfortable on your skis, you may want to take a lesson or at least check out what others are doing in your area.

Are you on groomed trails?

Montana
World Cup

Re: Rookie from MN

Postby Montana » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:50 am

Minnesota is a great place to cross country ski and there are many resources for you to take advantage of. First and foremost I recommend a lesson from a good and certified ski instructor. Ask at your local ski area r ski shop. They should be able to help.

Watching videos is helpful but a good ski instructor can help the learning process go faster and help you avoid developing bad habits that are hard to break later.
39th consecutive Birkie in 2019!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

Return to “Introduce Yourself”