New to forum and XC skiing

Who are you?

Moderator: Moderator Group

XRx
xcskiforum 10K

New to forum and XC skiing

Postby XRx » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:21 pm

Hi, I'm Jay

XC ski'd about once in high school 25 or 30 years ago. Was thinking about getting into it for the woods around my house. Thinking of picking up some used stuff or maybe new if cheap enough, say under a couple hundred bucks, unlikely right? Looking for some advice on what. If I shouldn't be posting this question here, maybe I can be pointed to the correct section.

But my intention is partailly ungroomed trails, is that realistic? Out behind my house is fairly flat and has been logged but nobody goes out there. There are also plenty of snowmobile trails nearby, but more likely just ski out back.

Any advice appreciated.

Jay

XRx
xcskiforum 10K

Re: New to forum and XC skiing

Postby XRx » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:46 pm

Oh, a few things I should add.

I'm 6'0 215lbs somewhat athletic if that matters maybe for sizing, and I can skate, I play hockey, and done a little downhill over the years here on the east coast, I'm in central MA, so not entirely alien to deal with skiing.

I wouldn't mind getting something I could telemark with maybe, if that's compatible with ungroomed trails, if that's even not a terrible idea.

Montana
World Cup

Postby Montana » Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:57 am

Welcome Jay!
I always say that any skiing is better than no skiing. While I prefer skiing groomed trails with light performance type gear, I also ski engrossed and backcountry areas. To me it's all good.
39th consecutive Birkie in 2019!
Ralph Thornton, Ear Mountain Photography

XRx
xcskiforum 10K

Postby XRx » Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:46 pm

Montana wrote:Welcome Jay!
I always say that any skiing is better than no skiing. While I prefer skiing groomed trails with light performance type gear, I also ski engrossed and backcountry areas. To me it's all good.

Thanks. Any advice on what kinds of enrollment would best suit my needs?

TooHeavy
xcskiforum 30K

Postby TooHeavy » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:52 pm

Welcome Jay. You are going to be bushwacking and skiing on ungroomed trails so you should only consider traditional classic skiing.(kick wax under foot). At your weight look for 210 or 205 cm stiff camber classic ski's. Buy a basic wax pack and learn about waxing with a manual or books. Enjoy your new sport. I am your weight and you will have no problem getting them stiff ski's down for kick.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”